Help what is wrong with my tortoise.

Chloelizzy456

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Horse field tortoise around 5-6 years old and he’s only Small and seems to have shell rot. He was a friends and she kept him on a fruit and vegetable diet. Since we’ve had him we’ve fed him calcium on his food etc. But he doesn’t seem to be growing. Does anyone know if there is something wrong with him and if there’s treatment we can use at home to help him before taking him to a vet.

99181706-3869-447A-B64F-60EE0B08248E.jpeg76286DA3-57BE-4F82-8FC1-AD41CAA7D406.jpeg85752FAA-8E37-432E-B043-DF8F1E18B42E.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's probably stunted from not having had the best care. But he looks to be an ok size for that age.

I don't see shell rot.

Chloelizzy456

Manchester
Hi, just for reference for his size here he is against a regular rubix cube. We have a female who it’s 3x the size of him the same age so he is smaller. Also there is some shell rot on the top and bottom of his shell it is just mild. Any advice on how to improve his size and health if this can be done?

image.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's probably almost full grown. Russians don't get much bigger than that.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Look fine but will now appreciate proper care and nutrition.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Read this...

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Female on left, both horse field tortoises same age. Do females tend to be bigger then?
I have a 5 yr old male he is only small his shell from head to tail measures 4.5 inches which people on here said was fine and he weighs just over 400 gms

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I have a 5 yr old male he is only small his shell from head to tail measures 4.5 inches which people on here said was fine and he weighs just over 400 gms
My russian Clyde is not yet 4 years old and he/she is at 640g. Seems really big to me. LOL.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Gosh , are you unsure if it’s a he or a she then ?
I was told by the breeder that it was supposed to be a male by the setup of incubator temperature. Now his/her tail looks really short... I'm just not ready to believe it's a girl yet. LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, just for reference for his size here he is against a regular rubix cube. We have a female who it’s 3x the size of him the same age so he is smaller. Also there is some shell rot on the top and bottom of his shell it is just mild. Any advice on how to improve his size and health if this can be done?

View attachment 302379
No shell rot in ths picture either. Russians always have dings and scrapes. They're scrappy, aggressive little animals. Quite rare To find a pristine wild caught Russian

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO

View attachment 302379

Males are smaller than the females. That's normal. But this little guy hasn't had the proper environment. So glad he's in your care now.