Help! (What species?)

KimmersRN

Hello all! Can someone tell me what type of tortoise I have from my pic please? Her owner died and I have been trying to take care of her. She is very stand-offish and I want to read about her to see how to care for her and feed her. We live in southern Ca, she roams our back yard. Thank you in advance!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
I'm sorry but i cant appropriately determine what type she is, however my guess it shes having a hard time adjusting to her new home (tortoises are like that) she will come around after a while. you could try soaking her in warm water daily to keep her hydrated.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
just up to where her shell meets i cant think of the term for it but you can see when you look at her from the side that the top of the shell meets the bottom and you dont want to exceed that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It looks like one of the Gopherus species of tortoise. Probably Gopherus agassizii. But more pictures, and better pictures will give us a better chance of getting it right. The tortoise in the avatar picture looks like it might be a Texas tortoise - Gopherus berlandieri. Please show us the bottom shell (Plastron)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!:tort:

V sorry don't know what species your cute tort is.:( Please give him/her daily soaks in warm water, particularly if the climate back there is a dry one. And read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, which is of great help to those who have never dealt with torts before.;)