Help with burrow building please.

MinjaKoa

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hello! I was wondering if I could get help on the burrow I made for our desert tortoise in Tucson, AZ. For a while, it was maintaining 86-89°F and now gets up to 93°F (air temps). Should I dig deeper? Or what? And if I dig deeper how do I prevent flooding from monsoon rains? My DT won't dig himself and just lays there even though it is 93°F and then around 5-6PM will come to the door to eat and come inside. Here is what I currently have and a picture of the structure itself that is under the dirt. It's 6-8inches of dirt on top, green structure is already angled down 30°, and I tried sloping the outside more with a tarp slightly covering the entrance to direct rain but giving enough room for him to get in. Thank you soo much!

Attachments

• IMG_20230824_153910_01.jpg
    IMG_20230824_153910_01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230825_090736_01.jpg
    IMG_20230825_090736_01.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4

MinjaKoa

Tucson, AZ
More info: He is about 20yo, so adult DT. I have to take him inside at night because I'm caring for a shell injury and this was the veterinarian's instruction.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When tortoises dig their burrow the dirt they dig out is deposited around the entrance. This eventually ends up being a bit of a burm, or high spot. This effectively keeps the rain from flooding the burrow. Also, in my opinion, the tub you've used is too big. A real tortoise burrow is only slightly larger (ceiling to floor) than the tortoise. Your tub is allowing too much air space, which heats up easier.

MinjaKoa

Tucson, AZ
When tortoises dig their burrow the dirt they dig out is deposited around the entrance. This eventually ends up being a bit of a burm, or high spot. This effectively keeps the rain from flooding the burrow. Also, in my opinion, the tub you've used is too big. A real tortoise burrow is only slightly larger (ceiling to floor) than the tortoise. Your tub is allowing too much air space, which heats up easier.
Thank you! That's what I was afraid of... Even if I bury the bottom third under ground it would heat up the dirt around it because of the plastic right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I was wondering if I could get help on the burrow I made for our desert tortoise in Tucson, AZ. For a while, it was maintaining 86-89°F and now gets up to 93°F (air temps). Should I dig deeper? Or what? And if I dig deeper how do I prevent flooding from monsoon rains? My DT won't dig himself and just lays there even though it is 93°F and then around 5-6PM will come to the door to eat and come inside. Here is what I currently have and a picture of the structure itself that is under the dirt. It's 6-8inches of dirt on top, green structure is already angled down 30°, and I tried sloping the outside more with a tarp slightly covering the entrance to direct rain but giving enough room for him to get in. Thank you soo much!
In addition to using a smaller container, go deeper and add much more dirt on top. Block out the rain with proper grading around the opening, like what Yvonne was talking about, and also with a cover of some sort. I used to make rain covers out of plywood and 2x4s over my burrow entrances. You could also use a large umbrella stuck in a metal pipe that is pounded into the ground, or an EZ-Up style tent over the whole area which would also add more shade.