Burrow bedding question

MinjaKoa

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Finally redid my sonoran desert tortoise's burrow using the cinder block option. I need to add more dirt inside but the dirt in my yard is super rocky and has gravel. I was wondering if I could fill it with orchid bark or coco noir instead or if the rocky soil is fine? Thank you so much!

Last edited:

MinjaKoa

Tucson, AZ
If it's that rocky, then yes, use what you would use for inside, like the orchid bark or coir.
Thank you! Do I have to worry about either those picking up too much moisture during monsoon season here in Tucson, Arizona? If so, would shoveling it out and replacing with new every so often during monsoon season suffice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! Do I have to worry about either those picking up too much moisture during monsoon season here in Tucson, Arizona? If so, would shoveling it out and replacing with new every so often during monsoon season suffice?
I use the native dirt for burrows. Large rocks can be removed, but gravel type rocks won't hurt anything.

The burrow needs to be built with slopes and covers so that it does not flood.

MinjaKoa

Tucson, AZ
I use the native dirt for burrows. Large rocks can be removed, but gravel type rocks won't hurt anything.

The burrow needs to be built with slopes and covers so that it does not flood.
Thank you. I was just reading that rocky gravel dirt (this one also has some tiny little rocks with dirt stuck around then that i assume is broken up caliche) can kick up dust causing respiratory problems but then when I thought more about putting orchid bark I thought that might pick up more moisture causing more respiratory problems also... Native dirt is probably safer because that's what he been walking on.