Help with Horsefield Tortoise šŸ¢

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hi everyone!

Me again! @wellington and @Cathie G, I have two questions if you donā€™t mind!

1. I have a 100w bulb for basking, but Iā€™m concerned it may be too hot. Would you recommend that, or a 75w bulb? I have both and can change if necessary!

2. I got a new thermometer set up, but Iā€™m just wondering where exactly should I put the probes? Yoshi sort of bulldozes over them atm!

Thank you so much - no food yet.ā˜¹ļø

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For now lay the probe under the 100 watt bulb leave for an hour and read temp. If it's too hot and you can't raise the bulb, then change it to the 75 and do the same thing

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can't give you the best advice on lamps. I'm glad to see wellington answered you. There's a lot more people here better at answering that question than me. Try to do what they ask. šŸ¤— I can tell you what temps and humidity I keep my tortoise at or other things I do. That doesn't mean it's expert knowledge. If they say different and it makes sense do that.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Hi everyone, I just wanted to check something! What would be the ideal distance between tortoise and basking bulb? Itā€™s 100 watts. Heā€™s only eating dandelions, will hold off for days until he gets them, and spends very little time outside his cave. I just want to cover all aspects of his enclosure to make sure Iā€™ve gotten this right. I love this tortoise so much, and Iā€™d hate to think Iā€™m inadvertently causing him unhappiness!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Thermometer or temperature gun should be you guide :) In the basking spot you will need temperature around 35-37C (measured at tortoise shell level). With temperatures outside basking spot of 24-25C (could be varying from 20 to 27C and let Yoshi choose what he likes).

If you have 100W lamp and it gives great basking spot, but heats whole vivarium above comfort levels, then try to use lower wattage lamp and place it closer. It's better to have thermostat-controlled heating and a smaller bulb, this way temperatures would be more predictable.

Wattage and distance depend on vivarium volume, so you have to do some measurements.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi everyone, I just wanted to check something! What would be the ideal distance between tortoise and basking bulb? Itā€™s 100 watts. Heā€™s only eating dandelions, will hold off for days until he gets them, and spends very little time outside his cave. I just want to cover all aspects of his enclosure to make sure Iā€™ve gotten this right. I love this tortoise so much, and Iā€™d hate to think Iā€™m inadvertently causing him unhappiness!
Happy birthday šŸŽ‚šŸŽ‰šŸ¤—

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Generally you want it to be about 12 inches from the top of the shell. The goal is to have it heat the whole tortoise, like the sun would, and not focus the heat on one part of the shell. I personally have found this easier to achieve with two 65 watt incandescent floods situated next to each other.

Also, happy birthday!

CaggyQ

Donegal
@Alex and the Redfoot @TechnoCheese and @Cathie G thank you so much for your kind birthday wishes! šŸ„° I also call it Yoshiā€™s hatchday too, because he was a beautiful birthday surprise for me three years ago. Also, your advice as ever is perfect. Yoshi is still not embracing the normal happy tortoise patterns: if it was up to him, heā€™d sleep in his cave all of the time. I have been giving regular warm baths to wake him up, and today he did eat a little, but he went straight back into bed. Heā€™s not giving himself anytime to bathe or eat at all. I know this is a sign of an incredibly stressed tort, and I am now questioning EVERYTHING I do (hence the lighting temperature question!). Obviously reducing handling him, would make him less stressed, but if I donā€™t bath him, he wonā€™t even attempt to leave his cave at all šŸ˜µā€šŸ’« Iā€™m sure you all feel the same stress when your babyā€™s are unsettled. Itā€™s just been such a saga since he nibbled on those stones. Itā€™s trying to find the balance between giving him the time he needs to come round, while also not letting him become seriously unwell.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I wish I'd been an expert on that matter... I think you need to continue daily soaks and watch him in case things get worse. "Stressed" behaviour, I guess is because stones could have injured intestine and he is slowly recovering.
I would not force feed him and try to use more soft textured food with less fibre. Since he don't walk much as usual, his ability to digest food is probably reduced. I would keep a diary of his weight - if he goes down to a red zone of size/weight he might need some vet intervention (special feeding, injections). I unfortunately don't know what options are available and what can be done at home besides what you already do. Keep him warm and well-soaked.

I sincerely wish Yoshi to recover soon!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yoshi is probably recovering since all the stones are gone but this is just a heads up. If all he's eating is dandelions you could see pinkish pee. From what I've read here on TFO that's not a problem. It just means he's fixated on that food. I learned that from one of my favorites on here. YavonneG.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Yoshi update!

He has been eating, and is in a nice rhythm of sunbathing and snoozing. Itā€™s such a relief to see him showing interest in food again. The only thing isā€¦ heā€™s not showing an interest in much else!

He doesnā€™t want to play, and if he sees me he is in full flight mode. Honestly itā€™s like weā€™re strangers. I am so use to social contact with him that itā€™s actually making me anxious. I hate the thought of him just being so isolated and alone, while I go about and do my work. Apart from bath time (that Iā€™ve reduced to three times a week in the hope of reducing his stress levels) we have no real significant contact. Is there anything I can do to bring out his character again? He just seems so down!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yoshi update!

He has been eating, and is in a nice rhythm of sunbathing and snoozing. Itā€™s such a relief to see him showing interest in food again. The only thing isā€¦ heā€™s not showing an interest in much else!

He doesnā€™t want to play, and if he sees me he is in full flight mode. Honestly itā€™s like weā€™re strangers. I am so use to social contact with him that itā€™s actually making me anxious. I hate the thought of him just being so isolated and alone, while I go about and do my work. Apart from bath time (that Iā€™ve reduced to three times a week in the hope of reducing his stress levels) we have no real significant contact. Is there anything I can do to bring out his character again? He just seems so down!
This time of year my Russian is like that too. Truely though, tortoises don't have to have a lot of social interaction with you ever. They will on their terms at certain times of day though. Those times are the best. My Russian starts becoming more active and interactive around mid December. I've seen him sit in one spot for several hours with his head stuck out thinking and considering his next move. When he decides there's no doubt about his Decision. If you have time to watch it šŸ˜ it's worth it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for the update. Happy to know, that Yoshi's is well now!

That's true, tortoises don't interact or play much. Their favourite games are "hide and seek" (however, they are a bit stressed, when they're found) and "find something to eat". Sometimes, they react on sounds of voice - singing or talking to them, some like "butt scratching".

Don't worry of him being alone or isolated. It's "Yeay! No one's watching, what a relief!", they are perfectly fine doing their own business or doing nothing.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Hi everyone,

I just thought Iā€™d post a Yoshiā€™s update!

He is back to full health: he comes up to say hello, is trashing his crib on a regular basis, and throws himself into his food every chance he gets. He also is back to his usual nosey self, and as soon as he hears anything at all, heā€™s away to investigate. šŸ¢

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I was so anxious about his health, and you all really put my mind at ease and give me excellent advice! Happy New Year šŸ˜Š