Help with Identification Please

Clovergreen

Hi there,

We've had this little fella for about 15 years now after rehoming him, but we have never known what subspecies he is or roughly how old he is. Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

IMG_3639.jpg IMG_3638.jpg IMG_3636.jpg IMG_3637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
He appears to be some sort of Mediterranean species, like a Greek. I've got to admit that I suck at the guessing game. Wet it down and get a few more pictures.

@HermanniChris would be able to determine if my guess is close or not

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it's a terrestris (Testudo graeca terrestris) comparing it to pictures on @HermanniChris 's care sheet.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
After a very long time of doing this, working hands on with the animals for 2 decades and spending my entire life deep in the study of them, it becomes basically second nature.

Clovergreen

Thank you very much for your reply! We have three tortoises, a hermans, what we called a spur thighed and then this chap who was a bit of a mystery to us. Now I realise the spur thighed or Greek tortoise has sub species it would be interesting to know what sub species the other one is. I will get my parents to take photos and post them. She is much, much bigger than this guy, although he tries his luck regularly! Thank you again!