Help with identification please?

Lindsey0106

Location (City and/or State)
Ludlow, Shropshire
Hi, I have two tortoises. The larger one is a couple of inches bigger now compared to when the photo was taken a few years ago. He is now 11 inches long (just the shell) and the small tortoise is around the same size as in the photo, so has stopped growing. The small tortoise (age, at least 30) is a lot older than the big one who is 10. I have been told they are both Mediterranean spur thighed.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct? They are so different in appearance, it's hard for me to believe they are the same species. They also have very different personalities. The larger one is a lot more active and can get quite aggressive. Loves chasing me and biting my toes.. the little one is pretty chilled out.

Attachments

• 20230327_191044.jpg
    20230327_191044.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have two tortoises. The larger one is a couple of inches bigger now compared to when the photo was taken a few years ago. He is now 11 inches long (just the shell) and the small tortoise is around the same size as in the photo, so has stopped growing. The small tortoise (age, at least 30) is a lot older than the big one who is 10. I have been told they are both Mediterranean spur thighed.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct? They are so different in appearance, it's hard for me to believe they are the same species. They also have very different personalities. The larger one is a lot more active and can get quite aggressive. Loves chasing me and biting my toes.. the little one is pretty chilled out.
There are several subspecies of Testudo graeca, so they could both be "Mediterranean Spur Thighs, but differs subspecies from different localities. Also, the shell tends to weather and lighten with age, so the color difference is not surprising.

Pics of the plastron will help with the ID and @TeamZissou is pretty good at telling them apart.

Also, tortoises should never be housed in pairs. I'm hoping you already know this and have separate housing for each.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
These are both Greeks but different subspecies.

The larger one on the left in the picture is an Ibera Greek, Testudo graeca ibera aka Asia Minor tortoise, based on the size, color, shell shape, and straight shape of sides of the first vertebral scute. 11" is a true jumbo.

The smaller one is a Moroccan Greek, testudo graeca marokkensis, based on shell shape, lighter coloration more of a sun burst pattern, flaring of the rear marginal scutes, and curved sides of the first vertebral scute.

We see several older Moroccan Greeks turn up here from UK. Ibera are much hardier and good at brumating, while Moroccans tend to be more sensitive and aren't generally considered brumators. Yet, the ones from the UK have been successfully brumated outside for years, so it's possible that they are a subset that can do it successfully and we're seeing the survivors.

If I had to guess based on their size and shape, the Ibera is likely a female while the Moroccan is probably a male; a photo of the plastrons would help. It's not a good idea to breed these since they are different subspecies, so housing them separately is the way to go.