Help With Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Ok.

So.... I rescued this beauty. He is SO CUTE.

Still has an egg tooth and a very soft shell that is still forming. Supposedly found in a yard and almost ran over with a mower. Found in Jackson County, Missouri, within 50 miles of the Kansas Border. Told its a Box Turtle. As an owner of 3 boxies, I am doubting this. Can anyone tell me what this may be? I would like to know how to properly care for him. I just got him today.

Thanks,

Dillon

Attachments

• 20121102_165124.jpg
    20121102_165124.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 104
  • 20121102_163913.jpg
    20121102_163913.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20121102_165151.jpg
    20121102_165151.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 100
  • 20121102_165246.jpg
    20121102_165246.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 82

dannyboy

5 Year Member
What about a snap tort? His nose is really pointy. Maybe do some research :)

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
dannyboy said:
What about a snap tort? His nose is really pointy. Maybe do some research :)

He was found too far from water to be a snapping turtle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Box turtle, looks like a florida box turtle

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Those are not native so since it is so small how was it have have survived ? And how would I care for a Florida box turtle? And are they more personable then the other kinds?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If they are not native, then it is probably the offspring of an escaped pet or two, they can survive anywhere really.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Oh okay.. Do they make good pets like I said I live in Missouri so they are not native. Are they personable? What about care? I mean I could google it but I would like a sheet that is actually good.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Lots of people myself included love box turtles, they make great personable pets. At that size a aquarium would make a good home. Young ones tend to be more carnivorous, so they will eat a lot of insects, and since they stay small, they can be housed indoors comfortably. They also eat fruits, vegetables and greens. Have a large water dish for them, box turtles for the most part are considered semi aquatic, not like water turtles but not like tortoises. moist substrate, lots of hiding places, the best advice I got on box turtles is, if you can't see them you have got a good enclosure.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Lots of people myself included love box turtles, they make great personable pets. At that size a aquarium would make a good home. Young ones tend to be more carnivorous, so they will eat a lot of insects, and since they stay small, they can be housed indoors comfortably. They also eat fruits, vegetables and greens. Have a large water dish for them, box turtles for the most part are considered semi aquatic, not like water turtles but not like tortoises. moist substrate, lots of hiding places, the best advice I got on box turtles is, if you can't see them you have got a good enclosure.

Like I said I have 3 boxies before this one. They dont hide like ever haha. Do they seem to bond with owner?

What about heat and such?

dmmj said:

God its so tiny.... like a quarter. Soft bendy shell and an eggtooth too.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
For babies I would use a day heat source and a night time heat source. I can't honestly say tortoises/turtles bond myself, they learn you provide the food and they are often happy to see you because of that. If you already have box turtles, then you should have no problems with this one, it is a box turtle after all.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
For babies I would use a day heat source and a night time heat source. I can't honestly say tortoises/turtles bond myself, they learn you provide the food and they are often happy to see you because of that. If you already have box turtles, then you should have no problems with this one, it is a box turtle after all.

Ah. Ok thanks. I think they actually bond like a dog lol.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If it has an egg tooth the it probably newly hatched, like less than a month, soft shell is normal for babies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I'm originally from KS, and there are a lot of ornate box turtles in your area. It looks just like some babies I've seen. They don't get the typical ornate shell pattern until they're older. I have a captive-born ornate baby that I got from someone on CL in Texas. He won't eat anything that doesn't move. I put small potted plant in his enclosure, and he likes to hide under the leaves at the base where the soil is very moist.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
The yellow stripe down the back of the shell and the gnarly nails say it's an Ornate. Spend time with it and hand feed it bugs (pill bugs, meal worms, beetles) and it will have all eyes on you and follow you around.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
kbaker said:
The yellow stripe down the back of the shell and the gnarly nails say it's an Ornate. Spend time with it and hand feed it bugs (pill bugs, meal worms, beetles) and it will have all eyes on you and follow you around.

I have an ornate not much bigger than him and he has the typical shell. I work at a Wildlife Rehabilitation Center so I knew that ornate box turtles were Native. I googled Florida box turtle baby pictures and they all look identical striping all.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you have an ornate hatchling not much bigger, why were you in the dark as to the identification of this one? Looks pretty typical to me.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
If you have an ornate hatchling not much bigger, why were you in the dark as to the identification of this one? Looks pretty typical to me.

My ornate looks like an adult colored one. This one looks exactly like a florida boxie.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm thinking Ornate Box turtle. If you look at the skin around the neck and arms, it kind of looks like she has a sweater on. Would be gray in color. Right now she woud be mainly interested in pill bugs, worms or any small bug. A planted type of vivarium would be good with a small dish to soak in ....moss to dig under and hide. She should have warm humidity in the range of 80 degrees for day time and 75 for night. An Ornate at this age needs warmth and a humid place to dig into.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Another vote for an Ornate. The stripe on the back, plastron, and location would suggest it. Red wigglers are usually popular, healthy, and easy to get for food. I'd suggest a bromeliad or spineless succulent (like some aloes) for a vivarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.