Help with injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have been giving my male his injections and now that he is on the mend and regained leg strength, I cannot give him his injections. We block his head so he can't chomp me but he is so strong I cannot hold his leg to get the needle in. Any suggestions?

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Have you tried his back leg?

Is someone helping you, that can make a difference.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
The vet told me to do the front legs. Does it make a difference? My husband was holding him and a spoon between his head and front leg so he could not bite me. Then I was trying to pull out his leg with one hand and give the injection with the other. Who knew something so small could be so difficult.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Next to sulcatas (strong!!!), box turtles are the hardest turtle to inject! Even the really tame ones. I wonder if a study has ever been done to test the "clamping" strength of the shell-closing muscle!

Are you using Baytril? You can give Baytril or Naxcell orally as well as injecting. Just inject it into a strawberry and feed him the strawberry. I don't know if you could keep it inside a worm, but you could also inject a worm (maybe??) and feed him the worm.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
It is Fortaz. Does anyone know if I can inject a worm with this because he would definately eat that.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
You can inject a worm. We do it all the time when fishing but just inject them with air to plump them up.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I know that worms can be injected, but wondering if they can be injected with this antibiotic and it still be effective.

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
i find box turtles easy to restrain by putting two fingers behind the head past the jaws. if it willnot put its head out put it in water and wait until it puts the head up to breath then pounce. easy once its done.. ie use your thumb and index finger, and only the front legs .alternate legs. never the back legs.............ed

Status
Not open for further replies.