Help with leopard tortoise!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Yes I have the mazuri but he looks at it , smells it the turns right away. I also tried other grazing tortoise pellets and he does the same thing sniff sniff and walks away lol..And ok I did an exact measurement and he's 3 and a 1/4 inches from front of the shell to the back..

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
JMaiore14 said:
Yes I have the mazuri but he looks at it , smells it the turns right away. I also tried other grazing tortoise pellets and he does the same thing sniff sniff and walks away lol..And ok I did an exact measurement and he's 3 and a 1/4 inches from front of the shell to the back..

Have you soaked the mazuri until soft? I have had great sucess with it.

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
New Jersey
yeah i have tried that he tapped at it once. but ill keep trying because i have heard a lot of good stuff about it

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
New Jersey
That's great lol well I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who helped with such great advice I will Deff put up more posts and pics as his growth progresses thanks again

romiso

5 Year Member
New Jersey
JMaiore14 said:
Hi everyone I finally rescued a leopard tortoise from my friend that I feel he has neglected for four years. He fed it nothing but romain lettuce and he has not grown a single centimeter since he was first purchased.He is only about 2 and a half inches long and I know they can reach almost a hundred Pounds. Well I have him now and want only the best for him. I built a pen outside where I have planted grazing tortoise grass seed mix and Bermuda grass(which he eats on and off all day long). Now I was just wondering that now he's is being given the proper diet and vitamins will he eventually start to grow.. If anyone has any advice t would be appreciated thank you
Hi Joe,
He definitely will grow much bigger and healthier than he is now.
I am from the NJ area too and I'm wondering where you purchased the grazing tortoise grass seed. I need to plant some soon , since my 15 year old leopard tortoise is not getting an adequate diet in my yard.

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I got the grass seed Mix from Carolinapetsupply.cOm it's amazing it grows in 2 days and my leopard loves it

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Try mixing the Mazuri with cactus. Mine will eat anything mixed with cactus!

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Wow so after I did some research on he cactus I found that it is an excellent diet for tortoises.. But my only concern is that my little guy won't be able to bite into it.. Has anyone fed small leopards cactus...?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
JMaiore14 said:
Wow so after I did some research on he cactus I found that it is an excellent diet for tortoises.. But my only concern is that my little guy won't be able to bite into it.. Has anyone fed small leopards cactus...?

All you have to do is chop it up into small pieces so they can bitein to it I feed it to my little guys /girls all the time :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I take pics with my iPhone then email them to myself at my email address. Then I can save them to my computer. That enables me to download them to the site from my computer file.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe:

Wow! What a cute little tortoise! And your habitat looks great too. Can we see more pictures?

Sometimes for the really tiny tortoises you have to use a potato peeler and remove the hard outer layer on the cactus.

JMaiore14

5 Year Member
New Jersey
hey everybody.. so its been a couple of months now and tank has been on mazuri pellets and his grasses and i must say i am in shock. tank has grown almost a half an inch all the way around and another half inch taller... his marginals are completely white and well enough talk let me just upload the photos lol

ih0chu.jpg
[/img]

29hnhu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.