Help with moving.

Darthmaulsmom

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake
So my fiancé and I are moving in February and I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to transport my little guy without stressing him out too much. He’s currently in a 4x3 enclosure but I’m going to be transferring him to a 2ftx18inch container a few days-a week before we move. He’s still a hatchling so it’ll be plenty of room for his favorite hide and his food and water dish with room to walk around. I’d love to keep him in his enclosure until the day we move but it’s massive and has to be fully cleaned out and taken apart because it’s bigger than the doors in our apartment haha. Which means when we arrive to our new home we’ll have to rebuild it which may take a few days.

The drive to our new house is 3 hours and I don’t feel comfortable with him being in the 2ftx 18inch container for the drive so I thought of putting him in a smaller cardboard box with some moist substrate in it.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I just don’t want my baby stressed out. I’m stressed about this move enough for the both of us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were me, I would put him into the smaller enclosure now so he has time to get used to it. Then I would just keep him in there during the move and after, until his new enclosure is ready for him.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yvonne always has good ideas. Id second that. Set up your small enclosure now, get temps, lights “dialled” in....and you and torty are good. No last minute disasters or “gotchas” or, geeze, we lost the timer in the move...wheres his water bowl...

Good luck - happy moving day.