Help with Night Temps Sulcata Hatchling

Babysmallz93

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello. I am back with more questions. I adjusted my radiant heat panel so that my closed chamber enclosure will not go above 85°f at night as per the helpful advice I have received on this forum about my night temp being too high. With this adjustment the coldest part of the enclosure can get anywhere between 77-79°. It's just the very edge of the enclosure on the far right side. Everything else is above 80° at night. My question is is that OK or do I need to figure out something to make that cold part warmer? Since I do have a closed chamber I am confused as to why the heat isn't stabilizing throughout the entire enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My guess is the radiant heat panel. Those are usually used for adults.
A closed chamber for hatchlings is usually a tube flourescent for uvb. An incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter(s) for night heat and if added day heat is needed.
Radiant heat panels are used for adults usually with a heated pig blanket/heat pad below it. As the bulbs for basking is too harsh on an adults shell cuz they need to be under it too long for their bottom half to get warmed up.
If you have a hide for him to sleep in, then make sure he is in it every night and it's on the 80-85 degree area and the little bit of cooler spot won't be a problem.

Babysmallz93

North Carolina
Oh wow. I had no idea that the radiant heat panels aren't meant for hatchlings. I do have everything that you mentioned for the enclosure. When I would use the ceramic heat emitters it would only heat up directly under them, the rest of the enclosure would get cold. I do have a hide but she has only used it a few times since I have gotten her. If I put her in there at night and she moves should I just keep putting her back? Thank you so much for all of your help.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can use radiant heat panels with hatchlings, but you should not use "spot" heat sources with larger tortoises. RHPs have large heat dissipation area and don't produce hot spots so they are a good choice for any tortoise.

You need to place thermostat probe in the coldest area of the enclosure so thermostat keeps RHP on until desired temperature is reached. Also, you can do some rearrangements: move RHP closer to the cold end and night hide or move night hide closer to RHP.

Babysmallz93

North Carolina
Alrighty. I have tried to put the probe in the coldest area but I found that in order to increase that temp, the temp directly under the RHP would get all the way up to 86°. My RHP is in the middle of the enclosure. I have no idea why one side stays warm and the other does not. I will definitely try that. Thank you so much.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Alrighty. I have tried to put the probe in the coldest area but I found that in order to increase that temp, the temp directly under the RHP would get all the way up to 86°. My RHP is in the middle of the enclosure. I have no idea why one side stays warm and the other does not. I will definitely try that. Thank you so much.
Usually vents or more moist substrate can affect temperatures. Or during the day enclosure walls, substrate, slates and such heat up under basking lights and the slowly release heat. Or there is a wall, furniture and so on which provide additional insulation. Also, plants, hides and so on can block IR radiation from heat panel. It's hard to guess without photos of the enclosure.

How do you measure temperatures? Temperature gun or thermometer/sensor?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow. I had no idea that the radiant heat panels aren't meant for hatchlings. I do have everything that you mentioned for the enclosure. When I would use the ceramic heat emitters it would only heat up directly under them, the rest of the enclosure would get cold. I do have a hide but she has only used it a few times since I have gotten her. If I put her in there at night and she moves should I just keep putting her back? Thank you so much for all of your help.
It's not that they can't be used but most don't for hatchings. I'm just thinking that's likely why you might be having trouble getting the whole enclosure to the right temp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a couple pics of the enclosure. That would help us more to figure out what's going on
86 isn't a bad temp for Sulcatas I just wouldn't go higher for night time.

Babysmallz93

North Carolina
Here are a few photos of my enclosure. Now that you mention it I do have plants on the side that gets the cold spots. Do you think that's my issue? I use both a thermometer and a temp gun.
1000012281.jpg1000012280.jpg1000012279.jpg1000012278.jpg