Help with skin changes

Lesa

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, KY
The skin around his eyes and nose has turned a lighter color almost overnight. He is active, eating and pooping fine. No other changes. Is this normal or should I take him to see a vet? He has a 3' by 5' closed enclosure. I follow all the advice from the care sheets. Coconut fiber substrate, temps around 85 to 90 with basking spot, mercury vapor bulb. Humidity hide and I am trying to keep humidity at 80% although that has been difficult to maintain in the entire enclosure. One side tends to get lower but never lower than 50% and I have added another mister. He soaks twice a day for 15 minutes. Breakfast is a mix of grasses, weeds and greens. Dinner is mazuri soaked and sprinkled with grasses. The lighter skin area doesn't appear swollen or loose. Just lighter in color. Is this a normal part of growth?

IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8191.JPG IMG_8029.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lesa, and welcome to the forum!

I would have had to have seen the 'before' picture to know any difference, as it looks fine to me. Perhaps he has shed a bit of skin around those areas and the old dirty skin has come off????? At any rate, I doubt this is something to go to the vet for. He looks fine to me.

You would find it much easier to containe the humidity if you cover the enclosure.

Lesa

Louisville, KY
I looked through some older pictures and it has changed color before. I have a beautiful 5 year old sulcata but this little leopard has such a different growth rate that I worry constantly. He only seems to grow around 2 grams per month. But he is active and a really good eater. I only have a small kitchen scale and sometimes he poops and loses 2 grams. My son says I need valium because I worry too much.

I do have a cover for the enclosure. Left the lid open for photo. I think the humidity problems are because of winter and the house is heated with gas. Dries everything out so I am trying to adjust my humidifiers. He doesn't like his humidity hide and prefers to sleep in the open clay pots. Thank you for your quck response. I'll keep a close eye on him and hold off on the vet for now.

Attachments

• IMG_6030.JPG
    IMG_6030.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree not much I see to worry about. However, the enclosure does look very dry. Humid hide doesn't really work well for little ones as well as a closed chamber with high humidity all over. I'm thinking it may be to hot and dry.

Lesa

Louisville, KY
Thank you! I feel so much better. I should have taken a current picture of the enclosure. I had that pic saved from when I redid enclosure a week ago. I had to pull out all the plants the humidity killed and redid the substrate etc. I hadn't misted everything down or turned on the humidifier.

It is a closed chamber. Misting with a spray bottle doesn't seem to keep the humidity high enough now that it's winter and my furnance is running. I added two small humidifiers to help but I don't need to use them 24/7. Still working on keeping it consistant throughout the enclosure. I'll get 80 near the humidifer and 50 on the outer edge.

Another question of someone knows. I have three different humidity temp monitors and each one gives a different reading in the exact same area. It can be as much as 5 degrees for temp or 10 on humidity. Two are the exact same brand. It's very frustrating. Any recommendations on brand?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've seen way too many skin care infomercials on late night tv. Sorry I can't help.

GGboy17

New Jersey
Slow your role with humidity. Tortoises come from a dry area (*unless you have a Mediterranean, but even then not 80%*) that is dry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Slow your role with humidity. Tortoises come from a dry area (*unless you have a Mediterranean, but even then not 80%*) that is dry.
Please spend some time reading our threads about the roll humidity plays in keeping a tortoise healthy. Keeping them dry is old school, and not in the tortoise's best interest.

Lesa

Louisville, KY
I'm following the care sheets pinned to top of this forum from Tom. He is doing great. I was just being a nervous first time leopard Mom.