What is baby leopard poo supposed to look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I was going to put this in the pooping thread but it's about something a little different.

The first couple days I had mine, the poop was solid and black. It didn't dissolve in the water and floated.

I guess by the fourth day or so, the poop was a little lighter and more grassy looking. When she swims around in the soaking water it will sort of break apart. It doesn't float as much as the first couple days.

Which one is normal? The solid, black poo or the lighter, grassy-looking variety? She seems healthy enough and active. Eats good. I don't let the temps drop below 80 and the humidity has been between 60-80% depending if the light is on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is variable depending upon what they are eating and how much hydration they get. Both of the ones you describe sound fine.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
It is variable depending upon what they are eating and how much hydration they get. Both of the ones you describe sound fine.

Agree.

Typically baby leopards will not eat much grass so their poop will be more of a solid black color and thicker texture. The loose grassy look is also normal, like was said, it just depends on what the diet of the tortoise consists of.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The breeder I got mine from feeds his pretty much the same food I've been giving mine (turnip and collard greens with spring mix, calcium supplement every other day), but he adds chopped up Timothy hay. That's when the poop was solid and black.

I haven't added any hay to mine's diet yet. I have 5 pounds of it though. Just haven't used it yet. I imagine I'll have to throw most of that out since it would take forever for a 40 gram tortoise to eat 5 pounds of hay...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Arg...I think I may have figured out why my baby's poo is so grassy looking. Or should I say "mossy" looking...

I just saw it eating the sphagnum moss layer I have over the soil. It was steadily chowing down on it. Hard. And it can't be hungry since it's already had 2 piles of food since this morning plus some Mazuri (don't think it ate much of that). There's also a little food left in its dish.

Should I be concerned about this? Or will the moss just give it extra fiber? I'm sure it's not poisonous since it's meant for terrariums. But I really didn't expect to see her eating it. And it's eating the dry moss beneath the basking light...

EDIT: Now its back in the dish devouring the moistened Mazuri that it had previously spread around as it ate the greens.

How much is too much? It's eating everything. I know I sound like a concerned parent but this seems a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.