Help with temperature plug

Rsek

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
So my bask lamp doesn't seem to raise the temperature to ideal levels in my table. I have changed the light fixture so it is more adjustable and is in a MUCH better position for basking but is still not raising the temperature enough.
I bought a ceramic heater to couple up with it, with a probe to ensure it doesn't get Too hot either. It has instructions and I *think* I've done it right. Generally, am I right in thinking this should be set to the cut off temp or something else, any advice appreciated, 8 don't want to boil him[emoji27]

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Can you show us some pictures of your lamp and set up.

You can use a couple of types of thermostat. I recently learned about the Rheostat which lots of people on here use, I personally use a dimming thermostat. Basically it just dims the light ever so slightly if it gets too hot but that rarely ever happens.

What wattage of bulb are you using?

Rsek

London, UK
My current bulb is only 50w, I suspect that may be the issue with temp, (the son of the lady I took him on for is supposed to be sending a better bulb so I'm reluctant to purchase one as we currently have a heat wave so he's out in the natural sunlight between 45mins-2hrs atm as well) I'll take some pictures, he's currently in a temporary solution, as I am moving in a month or so, so the large table is in the planning/acquiring materials stage. He is a Russian, around 5.5". His temporary housing is 2 plastic bins I caulked and taped together, I know it's not ideal but it is only for a little while longer. (It is 4.5 x1.5ft) I am aware that older Russian's are reasonably hardy, but I am also aware that he hasn't been kept at ideal temperatures in his previous home and want to do right by him, to the best of my ability anyway.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
You are doing a good job and that fact that you are here asking questions proves that you care about your tortoise. Nobody would judge you on here in that way.
It’s obviously a lot harder to maintain temperatures in an open top tub/table but your tort at 5.5inch is an adult.
If you have a suitable outdoor area I would leave him out for up to 5 hours per day providing there is plenty of shade and hiding spots.
Russians are a fairly hardy species, and they tend to do a lot better outside.
If you can provide an outdoor environment (I’m not sure on your circumstances) instead of building a tortoise table, you could build a heated night box and he could live outside 24/7.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You probably need a flood bulb of 100-150 watts to maintain the correct basking temperature in an open topped enclosure in a cool climate like yours. You may feel like you are having a heat wave but here, and in there natural environment, its going to be around 41-42 C here next week.

Rsek

London, UK
You are doing a good job and that fact that you are here asking questions proves that you care about your tortoise. Nobody would judge you on here in that way.
It’s obviously a lot harder to maintain temperatures in an open top tub/table but your tort at 5.5inch is an adult.
If you have a suitable outdoor area I would leave him out for up to 5 hours per day providing there is plenty of shade and hiding spots.
Russians are a fairly hardy species, and they tend to do a lot better outside.
If you can provide an outdoor environment (I’m not sure on your circumstances) instead of building a tortoise table, you could build a heated night box and he could live outside 24/7.
Unfortunately I can't leave him out on his own at the moment. When I move I will have my own garden so I can get or build a proper run outside for him, at the moment, my garden space is community gardens outside my apartment. I would be worried about predators and kids bothering him, so I just sit out there with him just now, hence the fold up run (which again I'm fully aware is not ideal. I've been planning to make an enclosed 'top' (obviously well ventilated as I don't want him getting too humid either) when I make him his new home. I know it's less than ideal, but I wasn't expecting him to come before I moved so we are just having to make do for a month or so.
P.s the night light is attached to a temperature plug so it can provide a bit of warmth if it drops below 15, I have taken the ceramic out for now as I was worried I would do it wrong and hurt him somehow, I'll probably change the night light for a ceramic also once I know how to set it properlyIMG_20180630_145508571.jpegIMG_20180630_145617566.jpegIMG_20180630_145357862.jpegIMG_20180626_201007_083.jpegIMG_20180623_191141_006.jpegIMG_20180629_225403_254.jpeg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
He looks great.
While your enclosure is not huge it’s clear you have made a lot of effort.

A couple of observations.
The night heater bulb thing is not good. The CHE (I think you said you had) is better. You can use it on a dimming thermostat if you are worried about it getting too hot. You can buy a microclimate thermostat for about £29.

You need some kind of water dish that he can get in and out of, like fully get his whole body in. I use (as do lots here) a ceramic plant saucer from the garden centre. They are pennies.

The rock thing on the left, personally I would remove to give more floor space, but that’s my personal opinion.

Rsek

London, UK
He looks great.
While your enclosure is not huge it’s clear you have made a lot of effort.

A couple of observations.
The night heater bulb thing is not good. The CHE (I think you said you had) is better. You can use it on a dimming thermostat if you are worried about it getting too hot. You can buy a microclimate thermostat for about £29.

You need some kind of water dish that he can get in and out of, like fully get his whole body in. I use (as do lots here) a ceramic plant saucer from the garden centre. They are pennies.

The rock thing on the left, personally I would remove to give more floor space, but that’s my personal opinion.
I'll just swap the bulb for the ceramic (I know that temperature plug is working properly, I have 2 but the one I was planning to use in the day to make it warmer is more complicated to set so I'll probably get the same one in time for the end of summer)
It's a piece of wood. I was thinking of taking it out as it does take up quite a bit of space, but it seems to be his favourite spot for basking and I am unsure whether I should take away something that he clearly enjoys[emoji53]
As for the water, I'll try moving things around a bit so a bigger dish fits better. I know it's not ideal so have been soaking him daily as l know the dish I have isn't great. Outside he has a saucer that is bigger than him so I will try and make room for it... I'll get shuffling

Rsek

London, UK
I'll just swap the bulb for the ceramic (I know that temperature plug is working properly, I have 2 but the one I was planning to use in the day to make it warmer is more complicated to set so I'll probably get the same one in time for the end of summer)
It's a piece of wood. I was thinking of taking it out as it does take up quite a bit of space, but it seems to be his favourite spot for basking and I am unsure whether I should take away something that he clearly enjoys[emoji53]
As for the water, I'll try moving things around a bit so a bigger dish fits better. I know it's not ideal so have been soaking him daily as l know the dish I have isn't great. Outside he has a saucer that is bigger than him so I will try and make room for it... I'll get shuffling
Took the log out and put a side plate in for now as my plant saucer he uses outside has gotten split somehowIMG_20180630_165734580.jpegIMG_20180630_165749864.jpeg

Rsek

London, UK
Also switch that night bulb out for the ceramic to come on if the temperature dips