Help with thermostat pls

rafsmum

Location (City and/or State)
wirral uk
Hi
Just after a bit ot of advice please.
Replaced My thermostat which is just over 2 yrs old and I felt wasn't holding temps properly.
Also bought a new arcadia CHE holder and a new che bulb
Ive bought an inkbird ITC 306T

Bought this one as recommended but it has that much stuff on it I think something must be set into it, that i cant see, as it isnt maintaining the temp. I am getting no sleep as am constantly checking in the night, seeing it 3 degrees lower than it should be, then messing round unplugging the heater and plugging it into the socket until temp is reached, then back into stat. I need to have the temp maintained at one temp constantly as have done for the last 2 years and this is going off and on

I've done as instructed
Ts1 set temp. 28.00
Ds1 0.3
CA O
CF. C
TR. O

But it's just not reaching 28 or staying there.
Had no probs reaching it with prev stat.
It felt cool in the night and had gone to 25

can anyone give me some advice pls
Or am I best ditching this and getting a diff one

Ive looked on youtube but they just press buttons really fast so i havent a clue what theyre on about!!! Thanks

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
those thermostats are pretty bullet-proof. The problem with holding temperature is normally in the type and wattage of heating you are using, where it is placed in relations to the thermostat probe and how the enclosure is set up - open top vs closed chamber type. Also the differential between the desired temperature and the temperature of the room in which the enclosure is placed.

Perhaps you could share those elements of your setup for a better chance at a good solution. Pictures would help

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
Just after a bit ot of advice please.
Replaced My thermostat which is just over 2 yrs old and I felt wasn't holding temps properly.
Also bought a new arcadia CHE holder and a new che bulb
Ive bought an inkbird ITC 306T

Bought this one as recommended but it has that much stuff on it I think something must be set into it, that i cant see, as it isnt maintaining the temp. I am getting no sleep as am constantly checking in the night, seeing it 3 degrees lower than it should be, then messing round unplugging the heater and plugging it into the socket until temp is reached, then back into stat. I need to have the temp maintained at one temp constantly as have done for the last 2 years and this is going off and on

I've done as instructed
Ts1 set temp. 28.00
Ds1 0.3
CA O
CF. C
TR. O

But it's just not reaching 28 or staying there.
Had no probs reaching it with prev stat.
It felt cool in the night and had gone to 25

can anyone give me some advice pls
Or am I best ditching this and getting a diff one

Ive looked on youtube but they just press buttons really fast so i havent a clue what theyre on about!!! Thanks
I agree with Mark's assessment. You may not have enough wattage, or the right placement, on your CHE. Often more than one CHE is needed to spread the heat out. The position of the probe is also of paramount importance.

rafsmum

wirral uk
those thermostats are pretty bullet-proof. The problem with holding temperature is normally in the type and wattage of heating you are using, where it is placed in relations to the thermostat probe and how the enclosure is set up - open top vs closed chamber type. Also the differential between the desired temperature and the temperature of the room in which the enclosure is placed.

Perhaps you could share those elements of your setup for a better chance at a good solution. Pictures would help
Hi Thanks So he's in a 4 x 3 enclosure which has a sloping roof from the middle both sides which has a plastic sheet under it
The 100w che hangs about 12 to 14 inches from the substrate ( soil) on the right hand side of the middle of the enclosure
The probe hangs over the front at tort shell height.
The room is the hall. image an enclosure under the stairs.the sides and top are also lined with polystyrene. The hall isn't that warm but his enclosure is covered

I never had a prob with the old stat until the temps begandropping a bit when we were away for several days over easter. Think my friend got confused nthought 24 was ok.
Raf wasnthimself when we came home and daughter could hear whistling ( I'm almost deaf and couldn't hear)
Vet said chest wasn't too bad,so ramp up heat n baths so I bought all new che / holders
/ Stats. (I have a new bigger home ready for him which would need 2 of each but need to leave him where he is for the time being)
But I'm up all night switching spare heater on to raise temps, then off again. Plus I'm worried all this temp fluctuation isn't good for him. It's making me ill
Thought I'd maybe get a habistat instead butjust read reviews and so many saying they broke in a few weeks
I can't see how if required temp is 28 and heat is on, it doesn't reach that temp. The last one did and wasn't meant to be as good as these
Thanks

rafsmum

wirral uk
I agree with Mark's assessment. You may not have enough wattage, or the right placement, on your CHE. Often more than one CHE is needed to spread the heat out. The position of the probe is also of paramount importance.
Itsnotbeen an issuein. 2 years. I was putting 2 in his new one but ones always been adequate.
I have put an extra one in ATM and tried it with 2 stats initially ut that just seemed to turn them both off and make it colder which amazed me
If I just put one on with no stat I can get the temp up to 30 odd

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Itsnotbeen an issuein. 2 years. I was putting 2 in his new one but ones always been adequate.
I have put an extra one in ATM and tried it with 2 stats initially ut that just seemed to turn them both off and make it colder which amazed me
If I just put one on with no stat I can get the temp up to 30 odd
That sounds like a probe placement issue. Was the old thermostat probe in a different location? Was it a different type of probe? Some of the older probe types took longer to register, which would have left the heat on a little longer. It is also possible that your older one was calibrated differently.

Often the number on the actual thermostat doesn't match up with the temperature. You can check this by setting a couple of different thermometers right next to the thermostat probe and seeing if you get different readings.

Sometimes these cheaper thermostats will hold a steady temp, but the read-out displays an incorrect temp that is a little too high or a little too low. Set the temp you want on your thermostat, but check that temp with a couple of different thermometers, and then adjust the thermostat up or down as needed. For example: If your thermostat is set to 80, but your thermometer is showing only 78, bump the thermostat up to 82, and then give it a couple of hours to stabilize, and check your temp again. Bump the thermostat setting up or down until you get the correct temperature on your thermometer, and don't worry about what the display on the thermostat says. Go by the actual thermometers.

If the temperature is never getting up to the thermostat setting, then you simply are not generating enough heat, or too much heat is escaping the enclosure somehow, and not warming the air near the probe up to temp.

rafsmum

wirral uk
That sounds like a probe placement issue. Was the old thermostat probe in a different location? Was it a different type of probe? Some of the older probe types took longer to register, which would have left the heat on a little longer. It is also possible that your older one was calibrated differently.

Often the number on the actual thermostat doesn't match up with the temperature. You can check this by setting a couple of different thermometers right next to the thermostat probe and seeing if you get different readings.

Sometimes these cheaper thermostats will hold a steady temp, but the read-out displays an incorrect temp that is a little too high or a little too low. Set the temp you want on your thermostat, but check that temp with a couple of different thermometers, and then adjust the thermostat up or down as needed. For example: If your thermostat is set to 80, but your thermometer is showing only 78, bump the thermostat up to 82, and then give it a couple of hours to stabilize, and check your temp again. Bump the thermostat setting up or down until you get the correct temperature on your thermometer, and don't worry about what the display on the thermostat says. Go by the actual thermometers.

If the temperature is never getting up to the thermostat setting, then you simply are not generating enough heat, or too much heat is escaping the enclosure somehow, and not warming the air near the probe up to temp.
I think the temps ok as it seems consistent with the other stats. No air escaping, and as I said no problem previously. Probe is in exact same place. Both probes are nls k wire with metal at end
I was hoping I needed to set something on the stat.
My son is hoping to bring a thermometer home from work
Is there anything stat wise you can recommend. I'm in UK
I can't see anything else to get. I considered habistat but the reviews are bad. Lots of reports of broken in weeks
The one I had previously worked fine too but when I went to get another some of those weren't good!
I need 2 as he hopefully will go in his new den soon.
I'm really panicking about keeping the heat up. I don't understand why it's not working.
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the temps ok as it seems consistent with the other stats. No air escaping, and as I said no problem previously. Probe is in exact same place. Both probes are nls k wire with metal at end
I was hoping I needed to set something on the stat.
My son is hoping to bring a thermometer home from work
Is there anything stat wise you can recommend. I'm in UK
I can't see anything else to get. I considered habistat but the reviews are bad. Lots of reports of broken in weeks
The one I had previously worked fine too but when I went to get another some of those weren't good!
I need 2 as he hopefully will go in his new den soon.
I'm really panicking about keeping the heat up. I don't understand why it's not working.
Thanks
The two most likely culprits are:
1. You are not producing enough heat. Easy to test this. Add another heat source ad plug it in to the same thermostat.
2. You need to turn the thermostat up a little bit because the calibration is a little bit off.

rafsmum

wirral uk
The two most likely culprits are:
1. You are not producing enough heat. Easy to test this. Add another heat source ad plug it in to the same thermostat.
2. You need to turn the thermostat up a little bit because the calibration is a little bit off.
Hi Tom. Thanks. Ive swapped both stats round, and the same is happening.
So, the main stat has the main heater plugged in, which is just past the middle on one side, thats set to 28.
I then have another stat, over on the other side of the enclosure, which is the cooler side. Thats set at 24.2 ( because I have the robe right in the corner) but the other heater is just past the middle on the other side.
I did this so that if the other heater failed, the second should then kick n as the temp would drop considerably in the corner
That one constantly mantains 24 degrees. But the man one often drops to less than 25 and rarely reaches past 27.

ive tried turning it up to 29 and 30 but it doesnt seem to make any difference

If i plug my old stat in, with probe in same position thats showing 27 odd bizarrely but I cant be sure it is working ok

It does feel warm inside though.
M son is bringing home a good thermometre from work tonight so hopefully we'll check temp properly

Its causing me so much worry!!!!