Help with Tortoise breed?

Rachlaid

Location (City and/or State)
Sheppey kent
Please could you help identify the breed of my tortoise we had though she was a Horsefield but reading through the features she doesn’t seem to fit.
She has no spurs
She has a claw on her tail
Her tail margin is not divided in two, her stern marginal is enlargedz
She has 5 claws on her front feet and 4 claws on her back feet.

82D93378-FB87-4066-BB00-33A84D03B872.jpegCB41D8DF-7098-47CB-8286-BD55C81A0F59.jpegA0C0D93F-C4C8-442D-AEBE-B64D92EE317C.jpegC90E64FA-7433-4777-A787-67B4958EC2F7.jpeg65940239-9422-4653-A7B3-441DC27A0D2F.jpeg30328223-C00C-40A9-8907-FCA757A3247F.jpeg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Based on the split pattern on the plastron, I would say it's some type of Hermann's. They are also known to have the spike on the tail

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no tortoise breeds. There are different species. Yours is not a horsfield. Looks like a greek tortoise to me. Testudo graeca. There are several subspecies of greek in the hobby from different locales in the wild.

Here is the most current and correct care info for any of the species we've been discussing:

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent
Based on the split pattern on the plastron, I would say it's some type of Hermann's. They are also known to have the spike on the tail
Thanks very much for responding. I did question Herman’s too but her tail margin is not divided otherwise she fits the other criteria, also wasn’t sure if she does have to tick all the boxes to be in a category. Thanks again for getting back to me ?

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent
There are no tortoise breeds. There are different species. Yours is not a horsfield. Looks like a greek tortoise to me. Testudo graeca. There are several subspecies of greek in the hobby from different locales in the wild.

Here is the most current and correct care info for any of the species we've been discussing:
Thank you I really appreciate this info. Glad to rule out a species! Helps to narrow it down a bit, will look at the Greek tortoises and read the info - thanks again ?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Did you acquire this tortoise recently? Where did it come from? It looks old.

This thread is why I thought it is/was a Hermann's. Greeks usually have a more splotchy pattern on the plastron, whereas Hermann's have two longitudinal bands:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/distinguishing-greek-from-hermanns.139516/

To me, the supracaudal scutes (marginal near the tail) look at least partially split. More photos next to a measuring tape would help as well.

But as Tom said, the care is similar regardless if it's a Greek or Hermann's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This thread is why I thought it is/was a Hermann's. Greeks usually have a more splotchy pattern on the plastron, whereas Hermann's have two longitudinal bands:

To me, the supracaudal scutes (marginal near the tail) look at least partially split. More photos next to a measuring tape would help as well.

I'm terrible at telling the many greeks from hermanni. Juvenile marginata also confuse the matter, though adults with the flared marginals are easier to spot. Add in the ancient ones like this found in the UK, and all the different climates they are raised in, and substrates they are kept on all over the world, and I find it difficult to know one from the other sometimes. Lucky for us, care is similar for all of them.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent

Hi, you are right the marginal near the tail is partly split at the top. The measure in the photo is about 26cm.
I acquired two tortoises who needed re- homing when my neighbours moved. The other tortoise is male and I think is a spur thighed species (this is from my non experienced research of tortoise criteria!). My neighbours got the tortoises about 40 years ago. They gave me their weight charts that they started in 1984 where they weighed 2lb (male) and 11oz (female) so I am guessing they were fairly young at that time I guess they are about 43ish...
I will read the info on the link you have given - thanks for all this help! ?

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent
I'm terrible at telling the many greeks from hermanni. Juvenile marginata also confuse the matter, though adults with the flared marginals are easier to spot. Add in the ancient ones like this found in the UK, and all the different climates they are raised in, and substrates they are kept on all over the world, and I find it difficult to know one from the other sometimes. Lucky for us, care is similar for all of them.
? in a way it doesn’t matter what she is the previous owners weren’t sure themselves as long as she gets good care but I was certain the two I had were different and not because of gender and just wanted to find out best I can! At least I can rule out a few! Thanks very much again

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent
? in a way it doesn’t matter what she is the previous owners weren’t sure themselves as long as she gets good care but I was certain the two I had were different and not because of gender and just wanted to find out best I can! At least I can rule out a few! Thanks very much

Rachlaid

Sheppey kent
Hi, you are right the marginal near the tail is partly split at the top. The measure in the photo is about 26cm.
I acquired two tortoises who needed re- homing when my neighbours moved. The other tortoise is male and I think is a spur thighed species (this is from my non experienced research of tortoise criteria!). My neighbours got the tortoises about 40 years ago. They gave me their weight charts that they started in 1984 where they weighed 2lb (male) and 11oz (female) so I am guessing they were fairly young at that time I guess they are about 43ish...
I will read the info on the link you have given - thanks for all this help! ?

Attachments

• 898210D2-519E-4CE2-81DD-ECA4B515DE22.jpeg
    898210D2-519E-4CE2-81DD-ECA4B515DE22.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 35

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It's AWESOME that your neighbors were able to give you that kind of data along with the tortoises! They must have cared for them a great deal.

@JoesMum wrote a really good thread about tortoise keeping in the UK. You may find it useful. ?

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Please could you help identify the breed of my tortoise we had though she was a Horsefield but reading through the features she doesn’t seem to fit.
She has no spurs

View attachment 309118View attachment 309119View attachment 309120View attachment 309121View attachment 309122View attachment 309123
Look at the bottom of the tortoise (plastrom) if curvy it may be a male. If it is like a "V" probably a female. The males have longer front fingernails used to court the females.Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpgmale vs female tortoises.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The diagram is very helpful. Thank you.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
I am sorry, I misunderstood your message. I thought you were asking about the sex. The picture I attached was an Eastern Hermann.

Attachments

• Eastern Hermann Top view.jpg
    Eastern Hermann Top view.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 7

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
She has no spurs

View attachment 309118View attachment 309119View attachment 309120View attachment 309121View attachment 309122View attachment 309123
The only thing I know is that it's beautiful. ??