Help with tortoise species and age (and any advice)

glasseyedcat

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi, I'm pretty new to tortoise care and I had a few questions concerning my tortoise. As winter is approaching I know hibernation is a natural and healthy cycle for your tortoise but it isn't recommended for a tortoise younger than 3-5 and also depends on the species of tortoise.
I was hoping someone would be able to help me figure out her species (I think she might be a russian tortoise? But I want to be corrected if I'm worng). And is there anyway to know her age exactly, or would I need to visit the vet to find that out?
(I'm sorry I don't know very much about her, she's actually my little brother's tortoise but he doesn't care for her so I do.)

Attachments

• 20230829_105712.jpg
    20230829_105712.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Full grown Russian tortoise. Can't tell you the gender until we can see the tail.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Here is a great place to start:

how big is she? Its not really easy to tell how old they are once they are adults

Can you show pictures underside of his/her tail?

glasseyedcat

Wisconsin
Full grown Russian tortoise. Can't tell you the gender until we can see the tail.
I do know she is a girl because the pet store displayed the gender of the tortoises they had. Are there any tips I should keep in mind in taking care of her? I've noticed she's been getting slower lately and not eating as much, is that normal around September?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I do know she is a girl because the pet store displayed the gender of the tortoises they had. Are there any tips I should keep in mind in taking care of her? I've noticed she's been getting slower lately and not eating as much, is that normal around September?

LOL. I'm not saying she is NOT female, but one of the first thing you will learn being on this board for a long time - pet stores say things because they say things. They may even think they are correct. But often are not.

glasseyedcat

Wisconsin
Here is a great place to start:

how big is she? Its not really easy to tell how old they are once they are adults

Can you show pictures underside of his/her tail?
She's about 6 inches head to tail and 5 inches side to side

glasseyedcat

Wisconsin
LOL. I'm not saying she is NOT female, but one of the first thing you will learn being on this board for a long time - pet stores say things because they say things. They may even think they are correct. But often are not.
I feel bad for flipping (them) over, but does that photo help?

Attachments

• 20230908_120521.jpg
    20230908_120521.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a full grown MALE russian. The long, fat tail is a dead giveaway. Also, if the pet store was going by the flat plastron, male russians don't get the concave plastron like some other species do.

This is the time of year for them to stop eating so their digestive tract will be empty for brumation.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I was going to say the same thing, but wanted more expert advice. That sure looks to me like a male tail...

glasseyedcat

Wisconsin
That's a full grown MALE russian. The long, fat tail is a dead giveaway. Also, if the pet store was going by the flat plastron, male russians don't get the concave plastron like some other species do.

This is the time of year for them to stop eating so their digestive tract will be empty for brumation.
By full grown, does that mean he's atleast 10 years old then? And thank you that information is helpful. And if he is 10 years old, I should hibernate him, correct?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At least ten, maybe more.

I've always told the folks who adopted my rescues to keep them up the first winter so you can be sure they're healthy, plus you get to know them better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises, like most wild animals, hide illness. . . a sick animal gets caught and eaten easier.

It's hard to determine if the tortoise is sick, or wants to brumate, or any one of other things, but once you get to know your own tortoise it becomes apparent to you that something is wrong and you need to try to figure out what.

If that time ever comes, we'll try to help you, but basically YOU have to be the detective.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just a heads up, russians and other testudo tortoises sold in chain pet stores are almost exclusively wild caught/farmed, which is how we are able to tell that he is likely at least or around 10 years old. Beyond that estimation, it's pretty much impossible to figure out an exact age.
Be sure to give this thread a read if you haven't already. Unfortunately, pet shops generally know nothing about the animals they sell in terms of care, so it's possible that your tort's current care isn't up to modern standards.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes a male and yes keep him up the first year. Forget all the pet store told you and read the info on this forum and listen/read advice already given.

Reactions: Ink