Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
I. Had some problems with my tortoise a while ago but after changing a few things baby Clay perked up. I took him to the vet and he got some anti parasitic medication but is still not eating. Is there anything I can do to get him to eat? Please help. I'm getting scared.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristina:

Are you all through administering the de-worming medication? It is really poison, so you are poisoning the parasites. It makes the tortoise not feel good. It will help him feel better to soak him more frequently. Do you soak him?

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Soak him 2-3 times a day. He refuses to eat even if I put it right in his face. Maybe he just needs time.

And yes. The vet orally administered the medication on Tuesday. He said they cab try another kind if this doesn't work.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have one at the moment that refuses to eat so she is having a soak in baby food in the morning, a soak in calcium and water in the middle of the day, a soak in warm water at tea time then at night another soak in warm baby food.. it works wonders. she is now just starting to eat.

But you need to find out if there is an under-lying factor.

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Do you use a calcium powder? I had been told to use a bird vitamin supplement. Also my vet told me that they do not absorb nutrients, only moisture. ???

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
They do absorb Moisture but in that moisture there are nutrients, just water the food down a bit so it's not so thick, I use calcium carbonate tablets from the chemist, it's pure calcium for humans, so I just break one in half then with boiling water dissolve it and when it's cooled down I put the tort in.

Status
Not open for further replies.