Respiratiry infection

Sweet0dodo

Hello...So 5 days ago I bought a tortoise and I have noticed some wierd things she does. She is always breathing with her mouth. She makes noises while breathing. She is not eating at all. Also some bubbles come out of her mouth and nose. I searched the internet and knew that she has a raspiratory infection and I should visit the vet. However, I dont have any vet in my area and I really cant afford to go far and treat her. I read that I could give her anti beotics but I dont know what to get or how to give it to her. Please help me!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please keep in mind that torts take very LONG to adapt to a new environment as they do not like change. Is your tort warm enough? You could read the "Beginners Mistakes Thread" until someone helps you with your tort's issue -sorry, I cannot.

What about posting pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Sweet0dodo

My tortoise stays outside most of the time as the weather is fine now. Daytime around 100 and in the shade maybe 80 to 90. At night its less and I usually have her inside at noon because it gets hot outside and I have the AC on but not too cold and thats only for a couple hours a day. I soak her everyday in warm water because I heard It helps.

She did not eat anything since I got her and she iches her face a lot. The noises she makes are worst and she streches her neck.

Sweet0dodo

Please help me I dont know what to do and it breaks my heart to see her like this

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if your tortoise has a respiratory infection and needs to be kept warm at all times if you cannot afford a vet visit you need to get the powdered antibiotics that they sell in feed stores and administer it and hope your tortoise is strong enough to fight it off. once open mouth breathing starts in your tortoise it is having trouble breathing and should really be seen by a vet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello...So 5 days ago I bought a tortoise and I have noticed some wierd things she does. She is always breathing with her mouth. She makes noises while breathing. She is not eating at all. Also some bubbles come out of her mouth and nose. I searched the internet and knew that she has a raspiratory infection and I should visit the vet. However, I dont have any vet in my area and I really cant afford to go far and treat her. I read that I could give her anti beotics but I dont know what to get or how to give it to her. Please help me!

What species of tortoise? What type of noise? Clucking, clicking, wheezing, ooee gooee wet sound? Bubbles? Clear or cloudy mucus ? You say the temps during the day are 100 ? Where does the tortoise go/hide during the time the temp is at / over a hundred? What size is the tortoise?

Sweet0dodo

I dont think I could have done anything to save her. She was so sick when I got her.