Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello All.

I have just aquired what I am almost positive is a redfoot and maybe a different species than the most typical because there is not any black on her shell.

I live in Texas and found her at a nature preserve here in DFW. A man and his 2 year old child had her and put her in a stream off of one of the trails. I was outraged because you would think common sense would tell someone that this was a tortoise and not a turtle!!
So we waited for them to leave and rescued her from drowning. My boyfried knowing that they are from South America swears that there is no reason she should be living in the woods here in Texas and said he thinks someone (maybe the guy with his child) dumped her off there. She only has a couple of worn places on her shell and does not look dirty or beat up.

We brought her home because we were afraid to leave her there and hoped we were rescuing her.
We found her on Saturday morning and have already created a habitat for her and purchased lighting and food (fresh). She does not seem to be scared of us at all. She will not eat though and has not eaten since we brought her home this Saturday. We are going to take her to the doctor this Friday.

My question for you is: can redfoots live in Texas and survive or do you think someone actually dumped her off???

I would hate it if we have stolen her from her home unknowing and am getting more worried as the days progress since she will not eat.

Any advice for me??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Red foots are not native to texas, as for drowning they do enjoy water a lot but to deep of water can be dangerous to them.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
dmmj said:
Red foots are not native to texas, as for drowning they do enjoy water a lot but to deep of water can be dangerous to them.

This was a pretty deep stream they left her in. So since they are not native to Texas that means that she would not survived in the woods out there??

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
We need pictures of the animal before we can provide you any conclusive statements on whether it's a native turtle/tortoise of TX or is indeed an abandoned pet that you could foster or adopt out.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
Here are some pictures. Her name is Raphie :tort: :)

Attachments

• Raphie.JPG
    Raphie.JPG
    887.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Raphie2.JPG
    Raphie2.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Raphie3.JPG
    Raphie3.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 58

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is a box turtle 3 toed box turtle I believe
I am not 100% sure but they might be native to texas, some of our texas members should be able to say for sure whether or not they are native.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
TuRtLE1924 said:
Here are some pictures. Her name is Raphie :tort: :)

yep...a three toed box turtle....could be male...can we see the tail and belly please???

Also, three toeds live in the forested areas, and have been seen by streams, they are not a swimming turtle, but have been known to cross streams searching to mate or eat...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Ralphie is a very nice obviously male three toed box turtle. If you don't keep him, you could just return him to the stream bank well away from where people usually are.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
yagyujubei said:
Ralphie is a very nice obviously male three toed box turtle. If you don't keep him, you could just return him to the stream bank well away from where people usually are.

I'd opt for this, I'm not big on taking animals out of the wild and into captivity, but that's just my opinion. The decision is yours to make. I do realize the captive bred tortoises I have are descendants of a wild-caught lineage a few generations ago...don't think I'm passing judgement here at all!

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you so much everyone for your help in identifying what kind of turtle Raphie is. As soon as I googled three toed box turtle I found pictures and information about her personality that made me feel that is what it was.
We are completely against stealing animals from their natural habitat and felt so bad when you helped us figured this out that we took her back immediately when I got off of work today.
Again thank you so much for your help.
Although we are really sad that we had to return Raphie we are glad to take him back home. It has just made us want a tortoise even more now.
Does anyone have an idea of what would be a good tortoise for us to have here in Texas. We are only in an apartment so we do not have a yard for them to live in but would make a turtle table if need be. So a species that does not get too big.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Gorgeous looking 3 Toed!!! The colors are wonderful colors... Releasing would be best, especially if it never had any human interaction or acts 'extremely shy' when you make any movement or sounds. But if he likes you and Vice Versa there is absolutely no problem (in my eyes) to keep him as part of the family. If you don't want/can't keep him many of us Adopt; well that's if they will indeed keep a wild Tortoise. I just love how relaxed they can be; like "hey human relax, I am" as the Veg out =-]

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
TuRtLE1924 said:
Thank you so much everyone for your help in identifying what kind of turtle Raphie is. As soon as I googled three toed box turtle I found pictures and information about her personality that made me feel that is what it was.
We are completely against stealing animals from their natural habitat and felt so bad when you helped us figured this out that we took her back immediately when I got off of work today.
Again thank you so much for your help.
Although we are really sad that we had to return Raphie we are glad to take him back home. It has just made us want a tortoise even more now.
Does anyone have an idea of what would be a good tortoise for us to have here in Texas. We are only in an apartment so we do not have a yard for them to live in but would make a turtle table if need be. So a species that does not get too big.

that is so wonderful! he was such a looker and it was the best desision to release him back where he was found :), think everytime you see a turtle in the woods you could go maybe thats ralfie or maybe ralfies baby :) i commend you for doing the right thing :)

there are alot of small tortoises such as russian torts OR if you really liked the three toed box have you considered adopting one that cant be released? many times when they are taken out of there native range they cannot be released and or due to some trauma couldnt be released you could adopt one of these guys :) have the same breed and rescue one in neeed of a good home :)

Again thank you! im sure ralfie appretiates it :)

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I second the idea of looking into box turtles, but I'm definitely biased. They stay small and, in my opinion, are easier to feed than tortoises. I know that they really thrive outdoors, but I'm also in an apartment at the moment and keep mine in a table. A large rubbermaid (or similar) container is inexpensive and easy to clean too.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
A captive bred box turtle and a wild box turtle are almost always easy to ID. Captive bred will run to you for food. Also, they can be trained or as my wife says train you to get what they want. I feed meat, plant matter and live insects in different dishes. One will move the dish she wants filled to the corner if I feed what she doesn't want in the other dish.
She favors bananas, tomatoes and superworms. I try to limit these and control their diet, but sometimes her antics win me over too often. I also love how she makes eye contact when she doesn't get what she wants.

I'm very partial to female boxies, males are just too one minded, as all us males can be.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Also, they can be trained or as my wife says train you to get what they want.

They have quite the personality! My male will throw whatever food he doesn't want into the water dish since it gets replaced daily. And he begs for food scraps if he knows we're cooking dinner.

Anyway, very awesome animals.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
Hunahpu said:
I second the idea of looking into box turtles, but I'm definitely biased. They stay small and, in my opinion, are easier to feed than tortoises. I know that they really thrive outdoors, but I'm also in an apartment at the moment and keep mine in a table. A large rubbermaid (or similar) container is inexpensive and easy to clean too.

Really? So you live in an apartment too. I was researching boxies bc ever since Raphie I really want another TTBT that maybe we could raise from a baby or save but I was under the impression that they need a lot of room and that I would need a backyard for them to roam around in... If it is possible for us to have one I would LOVE to get one. We miss Raphie already :(

fbsmith3 said:
A captive bred box turtle and a wild box turtle are almost always easy to ID. Captive bred will run to you for food. Also, they can be trained or as my wife says train you to get what they want. I feed meat, plant matter and live insects in different dishes. One will move the dish she wants filled to the corner if I feed what she doesn't want in the other dish.
She favors bananas, tomatoes and superworms. I try to limit these and control their diet, but sometimes her antics win me over too often. I also love how she makes eye contact when she doesn't get what she wants.

I'm very partial to female boxies, males are just too one minded, as all us males can be.

That is sooo awesome! I didn't realize what personalities they would have. Poor Raphie just ignored or looked at us like we were crazy because we stole him and were trying to give him vegetables when I'm sure most of what he ate were bugs and worms!

I have always loved turltes and was given 2 red ear sliders for my birthday when I was younger because they were so much cheaper than the tortoise that I wanted, but found out really fast that they were not the turtles for me even though I still love them. I feel that they belong in ponds and lakes. Luckily I had a friend who had tons of room and already had one herself, so she became the new mommy.

I have wanted a boxie or tortoise ever since then! And now especially since my encounter with this wonderful one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.