Helped a 3 stripe mud turtle, but have some questions

DownByTheRiver

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
5 days ago, I saw a small turtle that was just hit by a car, and took him home to fix his shell and take care of him. I used tegaderm to put his shell back together, and am keeping him in my garage in a rubbermaid container because the humidity in the garage is high. During the day it runs around 90 degrees, and at night its around 80, so it seemed perfect until I figured out what to do with him. I've been trying to get him to eat, but can't seem to get him to eat anything. I've tried mud turtle food both in a dry container and in water, but he doesn't seem interested. He's very feisty, and seems to have energy, but I cannot get him to eat. I put a live cricket in the water today and he couldn't care any less.

My girlfriend and I took him to the vet, but they knew very little. I'm wondering when him not eating is going to become a problem. We've decided to keep him because he seems to have a lot of personality, and stays out of his shell when we're around. We're working on getting him into a dedicated tank with some cover, but we're really concerned about him not eating. Can anyone help?

Attached are some pictures of him from the 1st day (the first one is pretty graphic). His other wounds have healed, but his shell will take a while, I'm sure. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240925_094613.jpg
    20240925_094613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240925_100925.jpg
    20240925_100925.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 2

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I don't remember anyone having a mud turtle of the top of my head, but @DoubleD1996! @mark1 or @Markw84 might be able to help.

Usually feeding live food might get their instincts going and get them to eat something. Try feeding something he might find in his natural habitat live if possible, like a worm or a snail.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
5 days ago, I saw a small turtle that was just hit by a car, and took him home to fix his shell and take care of him. I used tegaderm to put his shell back together, and am keeping him in my garage in a rubbermaid container because the humidity in the garage is high. During the day it runs around 90 degrees, and at night its around 80, so it seemed perfect until I figured out what to do with him. I've been trying to get him to eat, but can't seem to get him to eat anything. I've tried mud turtle food both in a dry container and in water, but he doesn't seem interested. He's very feisty, and seems to have energy, but I cannot get him to eat. I put a live cricket in the water today and he couldn't care any less.

My girlfriend and I took him to the vet, but they knew very little. I'm wondering when him not eating is going to become a problem. We've decided to keep him because he seems to have a lot of personality, and stays out of his shell when we're around. We're working on getting him into a dedicated tank with some cover, but we're really concerned about him not eating. Can anyone help?

Attached are some pictures of him from the 1st day (the first one is pretty graphic). His other wounds have healed, but his shell will take a while, I'm sure. Thank you!
he is a water turtle , they spend most of their lives in water ..... he will likely only eat in the water ..... worms would be something good to try......

DownByTheRiver

Florida
Unfortunately I've tried to feed him the live cricket in water, and he had zero interest. I'll try a worm later today!