1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Her shell is pyramiding. Need help!

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Squirts, Apr 10, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Squirts

Squirts Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Fontana ca
    Hello everyone so my 1 1/2 year old Sulcata shell is pyramiding. She growing very quickly and she eats pretty good but I'm noticing when she was a year old that her shell is lower in the back and it also has a different color on the outline of the shell.
    After noticing that I put more dirt in her home which is soaked every day. I also put a small green house to keep the humidity in there.the thermometer says it's about 85 degrees and has 75 of humidity. Water drips from the walls so I dont know if that thermometer works so I want to buy another one. Anyway how can I make the humidity higher? And does her shell look bad. It doesn't seem like it's getting worse but I want to make sure that it peeling doesn't mean anything and that her shell will eventually get better.

Attached Files:

2. Pure Tortoise Power

Pure Tortoise Power Active Member

Hong Kong
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Some pics of your enclosure can help.
  3. Mizcreant

Mizcreant Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Cincinnati, OH
    I'd take your humidity level northward of 80%. Good 20-30 minute warm soaks a few times per week. Make sure your substrate is at least 3-4 inches deep, and kept moist. Proper diet is also essential (refer to the care sheets). It doesn't look bad per se yet, but if your conditions do not improve then you can expect it to get worse. Over time the appearance of the pyramiding will diminish as the tortoise grows.