Herman tortoise.šŸ¢

Kellyfeay

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Good morning. Would really appreciate some advice on my little herman tortoise who I purchased last July who is now three.. I noticed the eating was getting less and sleeping more so I got a worm test done which it confirmed worms were presant.. so I purchased a wormer from a reptile shop which done nothing I waited a couple of weeks then was advised about panacur which I gave a week ago and when being soaked worms did pass but still don't seem right.. Still sleepy and not eating very much.. I am so stressed as I just want my little one well. Just not sure what else to do.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum. i also have a hermanns my pebbles is just 2 yrs old, i've only had him/her for a year so i'm still learning, you've come to the right place for advice though and i'm sure somebody with more experience will come along soon to help you.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Good morning. Would really appreciate some advice on my little herman tortoise who I purchased last July who is now three.. I noticed the eating was getting less and sleeping more so I got a worm test done which it confirmed worms were presant.. so I purchased a wormer from a reptile shop which done nothing I waited a couple of weeks then was advised about panacur which I gave a week ago and when being soaked worms did pass but still don't seem right.. Still sleepy and not eating very much.. I am so stressed as I just want my little one well. Just not sure what else to do.

Were you prescribed Panacur by the vet? The vet will weigh your tortoise and prescribe a dosage of Panacur based on their body weight. Panacur has different strengths and so the dosages online may not match your strength Panacur, and whilst there is a large safety margin for Panacur, you should still receive a dosage from your vet.

From experience, most of the wormers offered at reptile stores (In the UK at least) are Flubendazole based, which is used for fish, and offered in water (If I recall correctly). There isnā€™t much information on this forum regarding the use of Flubendazole so if anyone has anything to say regarding this drug it is welcomed. Fenbendazole is the drug offered to tortoises typically, so due to the lacking information on this forum, it may be best sticking to the Panacur which is known to be safe for tortoises.

If you werenā€™t prescribed Panacur by a vet and self administered, see a vet regarding potential side effects. You may have provided too high a dose and your tortoise may need medical attention.

If you were prescribed Panacur by a vet and was provided the dose by the vet. Have you used Panacur before for your tortoise? If so, has your tortoise responded this way to the medicine in the past?

Medicines such as Panacur attack healthy gut flora, as well as parasites, so it can put tortoises off of their food and make them appear unwell. Ensure they are drinking, so long as your tortoise is hydrated they will pass the dead worms.

Kellyfeay

Bristol
Thank you.. my husband saw the vet with our tortoise. my tortoise has never had panacur before.. today is the first day I've seen my little one a bit brighter.. but still no appetite.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi again,
I don't have any experience of using panacur so will leave that to the more experienced members such as @Yvonne G @Tom @zovick @ZenHerper
However, this is the caresheet you need..........
If you follow that as closely as possible re diet, temps, lamps, humidity etc your tort should thrive.
You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful.
If you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get good feedback which will help you keep your tort happy and healthy.

Kellyfeay

Bristol
This is my little ones set up.. I am hoping that everything is set up right. Be grateful for input. Thank you. šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 20220331_145440.jpg
    20220331_145440.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220331_145433.jpg
    20220331_145433.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220331_145422.jpg
    20220331_145422.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12