Hermann Beak

CMDown

Location (City and/or State)
Snow Hill, MD
Hello! This is Ged. He is a 2-year-old Hermann’s tortoise, and he is new to the family. I’ve been trying to find online pictures of healthy beaks for this species but haven’t had the greatest luck. He currently eats off a terracotta bowl and has a cuttlebone (even though he doesn’t show much interest in it). I do have different textured rocks in his enclosure as well. How does his beak look to you all? Thank you for your time and input!

IMG_6471.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It doesn't look bad. Just keep an eye on it. Let him grass on foods that you don't chop up small, where he has to bite and rip at it. Also the feeding slate should help keep it down.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!!🐢💚

What a handsome new fellow you have there! His beak is every so slightly on the longer side, but nothing of concern, feeding on a large slate or terracotta saucer will definitely helps wear it down, I don’t personally think he needs a trim🙂

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you mind sharing some information on how you’re keeping him? It’s really handy with newer members😊

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging pics are good if you have any
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity? What do you use for substrate?
What sized set up?

I’d love too see a picture of the enclosure if you have one!🥰

CMDown

Snow Hill, MD

What a handsome new fellow you have there! His beak is every so slightly on the longer side, but nothing of concern, feeding on a large slate or terracotta saucer will definitely helps wear it down, I don’t personally think he needs a trim🙂

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you mind sharing some information on how you’re keeping him? It’s really handy with newer members😊

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps and night temps?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging pics are good if you have any
What sized set up?

Thank you! I appreciate your response and questions.

Let's see. We are using an Arcadia 75W floodlight for basking. The temperature gets to 95-101 in his basking spot, and our sensors read an overall day temperature of 70-80, with night temps being around 68-70 on average. We use coconut coir mixed in with forest floor for the substrate. We always keep his humidity between the 40-60% range. It tends to be more in the mid to upper 50 range. Since we live in Maryland, getting him outside multiple times a week is super easy. Once he transitions to indoor fulltime we will be using the Arcadia T5 UVB bulb. His enclosure is two tortoise tables put together, which makes it 6.5 ft by 2 ft. He is a very sweet and curious boy.

What sized set up?

Attachments

• ged.JPG
    ged.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6392.jpeg
    IMG_6392.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you! I appreciate your response and questions.

Let's see. We are using an Arcadia 75W floodlight for basking. The temperature gets to 95-101 in his basking spot, and our sensors read an overall day temperature of 70-80, with night temps being around 68-70 on average. We use coconut coir mixed in with forest floor for the substrate. We always keep his humidity between the 40-60% range. It tends to be more in the mid to upper 50 range. Since we live in Maryland, getting him outside multiple times a week is super easy. Once he transitions to indoor fulltime we will be using the Arcadia T5 UVB bulb. His enclosure is two tortoise tables put together, which makes it 6.5 ft by 2 ft. He is a very sweet and curious boy.
All sounds great! Only thing of note I spotted is the temperature gauges, those analog ones don’t tend be very accurate, digital monitors will give you closer readings😊other than that, this set up should last you at least another year, obviously once they’re a full grown adult they’ll need bigger, but nice job! Gorgeous little tort❤️

CMDown

Snow Hill, MD
All sounds great! Only thing of note I spotted is the temperature gauges, those analog ones don’t tend be very accurate, digital monitors will give you closer readings😊other than that, this set up should last you at least another year, obviously once they’re a full grown adult they’ll need bigger, but nice job! Gorgeous little tort❤️
Thanks! And totally. We have two digital monitors and a humidity digital monitor in the enclosure. All are connected to our phones. My husband loves a good digital reading 😂