Hermann or russian?

tortoisenotturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello, I am a soon to be tortoise owner! I originally was just going to pick a russian up at my local petco but I did research and have decided to purchase a young one from deer fern farms. After finding then I realized I had over looked alot of species and I looked into the hermann tortoise. This guy seems great but I've heard russian are best beginners please leave opinions thanks!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hermann's are also a great beginner. Russian and Hermann's care are pretty much identical. Russians are a little more boisterous and master escape artists, Hermanns are still spunky but not like some Russians. Personally, I think Hermann's are prettier.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like Hermann also because I also think they are prettier. I have have three of them, very hardy little torts and just like Russian, they are very friendly. So I will vote for Hermanns.

tortoisenotturtle

Washington
I like Hermann also because I also think they are prettier. I have have three of them, very hardy little torts and just like Russian, they are very friendly. So I will vote for Hermanns.
Thanks, I was planning on a hermann anyways just needed reassuring.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Are you in the US? If you are, we have a member on the forums here, HermanniChris aka Chris Leone, who owns Garden State Tortoise, and he is THE place to get Hermanns, and very reasonably priced for hatchlings. It would be worth emailing him.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Are you in the US? If you are, we have a member on the forums here, HermanniChris aka Chris Leone, who owns Garden State Tortoise, and he is THE place to get Hermanns, and very reasonably priced for hatchlings. It would be worth emailing him.
Yes. I second on this suggestion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . I have both and boy do they eat . Sometimes I think they would eat anything that will not eat them . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like both species. Hermanns have the advantage of being prettier and have less of a tendency to burrow and/or escape. I think you will be happy either way. I also agree that HermanniChris is a great guy and a great tortoise source, but so is Doug from DeerFern Farms. I've met Doug personally and he is a speaker and great contributor to the TTPG. You can't go wrong with either guy.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I can't speak for/against a Hermans, the only thing I know is their care is about the same as a Russian.
But I LOVE my Russian's attitude! its like something you never would have expected coming from such a little guy. We could start a huge debate over who's better and why, but that's kind of pointless since you stated earlier you were thinking Hermans but just needed reassuring, there's your answer. And you even found a good place to get him with people here knowing the guy. You're getting a great start to tortoise ownership :)

tortoisenotturtle

Washington
Thanks everyone so much! This guy sounds great but I'm thinking of deer fern farms because it's an hour away from me. If it doesn't work out I will email him though, I really do want personality so now I'm kind of stuck again but feels good to be informed thanks everyone!

tortoisenotturtle

Washington
Thank you, do you know where he is based out of? It worries me to have a tort shipped to me, deer fern farms is so close it would be a easy trip for the little guy, and I was thinking of talking to the owner "doug" and maybe picking the tort up straight from the farm

mojo

Hastings, East Sussex
Welcome. Agree Hermanns have prettier shells. I personally found Hermanns better starter tortoise. Both breeds are great though. Horsefield do dig lot more and my Timmy the Horsefield actually climbs up the wall of his run, Hermanns dont really climb like this.