hermann tortoise weight

shaline107

hi I'm new to this and i have a hermann tortoise (Bertie) who is around 2 yrs old he weights 200g and is 10.3cm in length, i was just wondering if this is average for him or if he is over/under weight. thanks :)

surfergirl

I just got s Hermann in late December and he is 111mm = 11.1 cm and he weighed in at 252 grams. I too am curious what the average weight is for Hermann's of this length. He has a male tail developing but it is not real long or large in diameter yet. was wondering myself if this means he is still young and not fertile yet. I am not sure of his age, the person I adopted him from was not sure of his age.

Kori5

hi I'm new to this and i have a hermann tortoise (Bertie) who is around 2 yrs old he weights 200g and is 10.3cm in length, i was just wondering if this is average for him or if he is over/under weight. thanks :)
According to the Donaghue ratio which says about the minimal weight (look for the formula online) your tortoise should have 208, 7 g as a minimum. This is just a guide, it doesn't mean your tortoise is underweight. You still have a baby so soak him everyday and feed him healthy :)

Kori5

I just got s Hermann in late December and he is 111mm = 11.1 cm and he weighed in at 252 grams. I too am curious what the average weight is for Hermann's of this length. He has a male tail developing but it is not real long or large in diameter yet. was wondering myself if this means he is still young and not fertile yet. I am not sure of his age, the person I adopted him from was not sure of his age.
Yours should have a minimum weight of 261, 21 g but it is only a guide. He is still growing so soak him daily and feed him healthy :). Don't worry too much about the weight, it depends whether he pooped, urinated, was he fed previously. You want a slow steady growth :).

surfergirl

Thank you for the info on ideal weight! He was starting to pyramid when i got him and i think i have him slowing down some and staying in the right humidity range. I got him right before christmas feeding him weeds more than anything and he has twice the energy and health that he did when i got him. Funny little guy, the light clicks on in the am and he is searching for me to feed him. I think i will have him in the ideal shape very quickly the way he has adjusted. Can't wait to get him outside in the spring!