Hermann's Breeding Schedule?

visco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Taiwan
My apologies if this has been covered previously. It's been a few years since I've posted.

I have a male and female Hermanns who were previously living in the same enclosure (yes, I know - never in pairs). They were in a relatively large area at first with several different hides previously and didn't interact much as they were just hatchlings when I got them. However, years have past.... Now, the male is about 9 and the female is almost 8 years old and has been laying some 1 at a time "test eggs" over 2 different time periods last season, mostly noodle shaped or irregular looking marshmallows. I was unwise and didn't record the time she had laid the eggs, simply having read that usually the first few won't hatch and just kinda celebrated that my babies were growing up and planned to separate them.
Since then, we moved and needed to house the pair together until things were situated and new enclosures could be set up. Last week I found the female had laid 3 eggs, 2 beautiful, nicely shaped eggs and one I found broken.
Upon finding the eggs, I separated the pair to separate enclosures.
I've read that Hermanns typically lay 2 clutches a season How long should I keep them separated before reintroducing the male for the next mating cycle and how long should they be kept together to mate? The rest of the incubation and hatching is wonderfully documented in the forum so thanks to all who provided the info.

I would love to raise a few babies but I'm not looking to turn this into a career. I've read about sperm retention in other articles. Is that a factor in Hermanns breeding/egg laying cycle I should be aware of?

many thanks!