Hermanns Tortoise less active

JNelson

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex
Hi all
I’ve had my Hermanns now for about 2 months and it’s going well! However, just wanted to see people’s opinion on who active she has been for the last couple of weeks.

She is only about a year old and and has been pretty active through the summer which is when I got her, but as the temperature has (quite noticeably) dropped outside, she has become less active and digging herself under the heat lamp which is at a constant temperature for 13 hours a day (no problems with the temperature of the terrarium and she is eating normally).

Suppose I just want to see if this is a normal behaviour?
Also, I want to try some new foods with her, what does everyone feed their baby Hermanns? Thanks :)

Noelluene

Location (City and/or State)
Shenzhen, China
If the temperature is dropping then it's completely normal behavior. They instinctively dig down when the temperature begins to drop. I have an Eastern Hermann's and he does the same thing during winter months.

In terms of feeding a baby Hermann's I would recommend romaine and garden lettuce dusted with a bit of calcium powder. Small amounts of fruit such as tomato can be offered very occasionally as treats. Commercial diets are also fine if you can't access fresh greens all the time.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello - I just happened to notice your query about food for your baby tortoise, and wondered if you had more than the one reply. I hope she is doing well - my Hermanns is 21 years old, and he doesn't hibernate, but doesn't eat as much and is less active - he still gets very lively sometimes, though.
I live in the uk too (Devon) and he doesn't like this cold dismal weather any more than I do!
Angie

Reactions: Ink