LeanneW

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford
Hi again.

Can anyone help me.

Pebble weighs 54 g and her sql is 6cm
is this ideal?
she is is 5 months old on the 20th

she weight 32 g when we got her in december and has gained around 2g each week apart from a could of weeks where she gained a bit more or less.
this week she has gained 4grams!!

I've seen the jackson ratio, this is saying she is overweight but ive read that its inaccurate if the tort is under 500g?

squirrelkitty

Birkenhead
I'm just replying because I'm interested in this question as well. My Frankie (nearly 9 months old now) is a greedy gobbler and he has been gaining 2 grams a week every week since we got him. I think I read somewhere it should be 2 grams a *month*. He's 53 grams now. Will have to measure his plastron again, but he's definitely shorter than his 'peers' because his fourth vertebral scute is tiny.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
My understanding is that the Jackson Ratio is for hibernating/brumating tortoises, to make sure they are healthy for it. It's not a scale to follow for regular activity and gain.

As long as your tortoise is eating, drinking, basking, and gaining weight, then it is thriving and healthy and you don't need to worry.

Tortoises grow at different rates. I have two baby Russians that are from the same clutch, hatched the same day, and kept in separate enclosures but have all the same stuff (lights, humid hide, etc). One of them is now 72 grams, and the other is 38 grams. But the smaller one is gaining weight and growing, just at her own pace.

leamdk

Dk
Hi,
I have two 7-month old Hermanns:
Rille is approx. 5,7 cm / 38 g (gained 7 g / grew 8 mm in a month) and
Rumle is approx. 5,5 cm / 34 g (gained 5 g / grew 7 mm in a month).