Hermit carbs wih Q....

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonraser

5 Year Member
Hi, I have 3 hermit crabs (named herm, herma and hernny) that I have recently put in Q's enclosure...they co-live pretty well together. I was wondering if I can add a Chameleon or a Gecko or a beared dragon, something that would not climb out of the tank and require the same habitat of my redfoot.

I have a huge tank and nothing is happening…Q is a baby redfoot and she is always sleeping in her hide. My Hermits are also most of the time sleeping; they only come out late in the afternoon…So I need some action in there…I need a reptile that’s not going to eat each other alive and would be active at day time.:rolleyes:

Any suggestion?

I

Italianlnm

I wouldn't have even put the Hermit Crabs in there. It isn't a good idea to mix species, and it can be very dangerous to your animals. Maybe try setting up another enclosure for your Hermit Crabs and another reptile, if you want one. That is just too dangerous.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
If you want an animal that is more active, it needs to be housed separately. I agree with Italianlnm and I would not house the hermit crabs with your tortoise either.

moonraser

5 Year Member
Well I have my Hermits in their own tank before I have my Redfoot...I can put them back. I have read not to mix Tortoise...but I also read in another forum some people have them in the same tank and it was ok.
I don't know what to do now. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The biggest thing about mixing species is cross-infection possibilities and habitat incompatibilities- neither applies to the crabs. Some European large-habitat Red-foot keepers use crabs and/or small lizards to help control wastes and pests.

The thing about the anoles or geckos is that you need a rather large habitat with some sort of top cover or a relatively secure room to keep them contained.

The crabs seem to work best in a large habitat as well.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Are there any animals that can be housed with Torts other than having an aviary?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
What species do you have? Because a bearded dragon and a chameleon need quite different environments... so how could they match your torts enviro? What type of tortoise do you have? I wouln't bring anything in from a different continent, and probably wouldn't add any of the above unless u have a pretty large enclosure if at all.

moonraser

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
The biggest thing about mixing species is cross-infection possibilities and habitat incompatibilities- neither applies to the crabs. Some European large-habitat Red-foot keepers use crabs and/or small lizards to help control wastes and pests.

The thing about the anoles or geckos is that you need a rather large habitat with some sort of top cover or a relatively secure room to keep them contained.

The crabs seem to work best in a large habitat as well.

Thanks Madkins007...I fill a little bit better after reading your post. I think I will give it a try and leave my hermits in with Q...and see what happen. For sure I will not mixing tortoises species. :)

DoctorCosmonaut said:
What species do you have? Because a bearded dragon and a chameleon need quite different environments... so how could they match your torts enviro? What type of tortoise do you have? I wouln't bring anything in from a different continent, and probably wouldn't add any of the above unless u have a pretty large enclosure if at all.

Well I have a Redfoot...I have no experience in reptile other than Redfoot and Hermits...I just wanted to add some life in my huge tank but from the post above it seem not a good idea. I will just stick with my Hermits and "Q" the redfoot :p

I

Italianlnm

Tropical plants add color, and make it more of a splash. I agree with Doctor, that that might be a good way to go, and look into.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
moonraser said:
I need a reptile that’s not going to eat each other alive and would be active at day time.......I have no experience in reptile other than Redfoot and Hermits

Hermit crabs are not reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.