Hermit Crabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
Be recently read how some people keep hermit crabs with their tortoises as almost a kind of clean up crew and the idea I find really fascinating. So I was wondering who here actually does this? I also have a few questions as I'd like to try this at some point.

What do you do about saltwater as i know they need to soak in it? Do u supplement feed them anything or do they just feed off tortoise food and waste? Does anyone keep them in outdoor enclosures with their torts or is it an indoor only thing? And could this be done with a russian tortoise? Thanks in advanced for answering any of my questions.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I did this for several years with my red-footeds- which have a compatible habitat to crabs. Some crab species NEED saltwater soaks, but the most common pet store versions do not need it as much and if you choose to do it, you can usually just set them in a bowl with a little saltwater in it for a while.

I also never feed them separately, but did not remove old food until just before the next day's feeding so the crabs could forage on it.

Understand, however, that to me they were workers, not pets, so keeping them with the same degree of care that I gave my torts was not a priority. I also do not get the longevity from the crabs that some sources say you should.

(The use of the past tense here reflects the idea that when summer roles around, the torts go outside and the crabs get a little more attentive care so they are not living together at that point.)

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
This is really interesting. Is there a chance of the hermit crabs biting the tortoises?

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
That very interesting. I like the idea of them cleaning up after the tortoises and the fact that add a new element of variety to the enclosure. I may give this a try in the future.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Red foots tend to eat the hermit crabs. not the other way around.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Yeah, I'd be very skeptical of what dmmj said.

I'd love to do it, don't get me wrong..but I can't help but feel it'd just look like a walking snack.

electra

5 Year Member
I keep them with my 3toed box turtles and my red foot. I do put in a small saucer salt water soak for the crabs. I have never had a problem and they forage all the left overs. I also feed them at night as well a few times a week with the supplements relative to them. They are part of the environment of my tank. I do not treat them with less respect than the turtles as I feel they are living beings deserving of care.
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
electra said:
I keep them with my 3toed box turtles and my red foot. I do put in a small saucer salt water soak for the crabs. I have never had a problem and they forage all the left overs. I also feed them at night as well a few times a week with the supplements relative to them. They are part of the environment of my tank. I do not treat them with less respect than the turtles as I feel they are living beings deserving of care.
:tort:

Hi electra:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As for biting each other- these are both ancient armored species. I have seen the torts gnaw on the crabs quite often, especially in the early stages before they figure out each other's patterns and find good hides, but I have never seen a crab bite a tort.

I also have not seen any signs of the tort bites causing injury, but I am sure that if a tort got a good hold on a crab itself it would sure give it a good try.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Yeah, I get attached easy..I'd just be worried if I put a Hermit Crab in with Toby, he'd eat the little thing.

It'd be really neat to have though.

So you think it'd be okay, for one adult Red Foot to be with a crab or two?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hermit crabs do best in small groups and big habitats (if they are sharing with tortoises). I had 3 in a 40x20 or so habitat and that seemed to work nicely.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I wouldn't do it with a russian tortoise Brewster. Hermit crabs need very high humidity and russians like it dry.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
ok,I'm very excited now! I just got a hermit crab today,and was hoping it could live happily with my gulf coast box turtle...they need the same requirements ,so it makes sense! will this be ok with my 10 month old gulf coast box turtle?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have done this and it worked well until the crabs out grow the shell and went looking for shell. The redfoots ate well then. Remember redfoots are opportunistic feeders and hermit crabs are natural prey in the wild.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
I have them together now,,and I watch them closely,my boxie is interested in him for sure,and scraes me that he might try to eat him! But the hermit crab can climb well,and get's up the driftwood nicely..I hope this works out! Is there a chance my little box turtle could harm the hermit ?? I really like this!!! My turtle will never get as big as a tortoise,,,so is there a big danger?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I'm sure technically he could harm/kill the crab. But will he? I don't really think he would bother with it.

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
How young of a boxie would you put in with the crabs? We have 3 small hermit crabs and I am planning to bring home 2-3 new (year old) boxie babies next week. Do you think putting them together would be a bad idea?

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
I think the hermit crab idea is pretty cool. I'd like to try it as well. Do you think you could also add earthworms to help mixup and clean the substrate?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Itort said:
I have done this and it worked well until the crabs out grow the shell and went looking for shell. The redfoots ate well then. Remember redfoots are opportunistic feeders and hermit crabs are natural prey in the wild.

I imagined my redfoots doing this and laughed so hard. Typical Redfoot.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
SWDK said:
I think the hermit crab idea is pretty cool. I'd like to try it as well. Do you think you could also add earthworms to help mixup and clean the substrate?

I've heard of people putting critters such as pillbugs(rolly-pollies) in there living vivariums(a self-sustaining ecosystem with live plants and animals) with dart frogs and geckos. Idk how well that would work with larger animals though. I do have a worm compost with red wigglers( basically earthworms but more tolerant of warmer temps) and I usually put left over food, old hay, and my tort's waste in there and they turn it into compost.

Status
Not open for further replies.