Hey everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Hello, I'm new to this forum, I have 3 tortoises 1 Russian male and 2 female Red Foots. I enjoy every second i sit staring at them. I guess i joined to talk to more people with my interests. I have questions as well as answers, and have been keeping turtles and tortoises for about 8 years straight now. But i have alot of questions, for starters is it ok to feed a tortoise pumpkin? I have never realy thought of feeding them pumpkin until recently. there is pumpkin patches everywere and they are cheap. Anything would be mutch appriciated. thanks

Derrik

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Derrick! :D To answer your question straight off, yes it is okay to feed them the pumpkin. Some feed it to them as is, which works on bigger tortoises. For smaller tortoises you may want to cook it (such as in the microwave) or grate it (the electric shredders are so much nicer then trying to do this by hand). Seeds, peel, and all can be used. You can freeze it too.

Pumpkin should not be an every day thing, but maybe more like once a month would be okay. Some folks feed it because it may help prevent worms. As I recall, the chemical in it that works on the worms, is more in the seeds themselves. It will not work effectively as a wormer, if you have worm issues already however. It can also cause loose stools, so be warn ahead about that.

Now back to your tortoise family, sounds like a nice group. May we please see pictures of them? :tort:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Welcome to the forum! My Sullys LOVE pumpkin! Just gave it to them yesterday for the 1st time and they gobbled it up! Enjoy the forum! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Derrik:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
Thanx everybody! I will try to get pictures up as soon as i figure out how.lol, And thats verry interesting that pumpkin can be used as a light wormer. thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.