Hey guys!

BabyNemo

Location (City and/or State)
Jefferson, GA
Hey, my name is Shay and I live in Northern GA.
I've always wanted a tortoise, and decided to sign up to this site for advice and information before I actually get one
:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Which species did you have in mind? For starters I'd recommend a Herman's, or Russian tortoise. They stay small and are very outgoing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Glad to see your doing your homework first, good job. I ditto tortadise's recommended starter torts.

BabyNemo

Jefferson, GA
Welcome. Which species did you have in mind? For starters I'd recommend a Herman's, or Russian tortoise. They stay small and are very outgoing.
I haven't done much looking yet, but I've heard a ton about Russians and I like them a lot.
The only experience I have with any turtles in general is my RES hatchling.

Tortoises are completely new to me.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Good to have you here and you will soon to learn this is a great place to learn and share.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well we have lots of info here about all sorts of species. Tortoises are quite different in behavior and feeding than aquatics. But require similar care(UVB, maintained temperatures, calcium, hides etc....)

BabyNemo

Jefferson, GA
Well we have lots of info here about all sorts of species. Tortoises are quite different in behavior and feeding than aquatics. But require similar care(UVB, maintained temperatures, calcium, hides etc....)
I understand. Next month my brother moves out, which means I get his whole room to myself plus mine. I wanted to have a tortoise in there and then to have a place in my fenced in backyard when the temperatures are right.

I'll keep looking around the forum for more information. :).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! I like the red foots so thats what I'll recommend. But the cost of the tortoise is more than a Russian and the setup will cost more . But the beauty is worth it .

BabyNemo

Jefferson, GA
Welcome! I like the red foots so thats what I'll recommend. But the cost of the tortoise is more than a Russian and the setup will cost more . But the beauty is worth it .
What would be the cost of the initial setup for a Russian? And the cost for the red foot?
Thank you!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i'd say red's to but if you like russian's go for it the beginning cost of any tort you chose will be a little spendy to do it right

with red's you'd need a humid set up such as a closed chamber which you can make yourself with a humid environment tho you don't want to let the temps drop or it will cause problems

russian's don't need as much humidity i'm not versed in the species tho so i can't say a lot other then you'd want as big as possible enclosure because russian's love to wander er it applies to all species actually the bigger the enclosure the better

it really depends on which species you want and the research you do either one would be a great tort.

oh and welcome!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well I have a Russian And a Boxturtle so I am biased toward those two :) The cost is dependent on a lot of things, adult versus hatchling for example. I would recommend that you go with adult or juvenile tortoise versus a hatchling. Hatchlings are very fragile and have very specific requirements that cost more money. Enclosures are The most expensive aspect of tortoise care in my opinion, no matter what species you choose. Russians are easy to find, on craigslist for example and I agree that they are not the prettiest but they have a ton of personality. But every species has its fans and it is a personal decision. Just do your research, look under the species specific sections and maybe try to narrow it down to two or three options and then research those a great deal and keep asking for information. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

BabyNemo

Jefferson, GA
i'd say red's to but if you like russian's go for it the beginning cost of any tort you chose will be a little spendy to do it right

with red's you'd need a humid set up such as a closed chamber which you can make yourself with a humid environment tho you don't want to let the temps drop or it will cause problems

russian's don't need as much humidity i'm not versed in the species tho so i can't say a lot other then you'd want as big as possible enclosure because russian's love to wander er it applies to all species actually the bigger the enclosure the better

it really depends on which species you want and the research you do either one would be a great tort.

oh and welcome!
I will do more research on the two during my lunch break tomorrow :).
Space is not a problem since the room I'm getting is 12' x 13-14' and will be housing three hamsters, a RES, and future tortoise.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Shay welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shay, and welcome to the Forum!!