Hey

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have never hibernated any of the many tortoises I've had. If you are not breeding, then there is no reason to hibernate...and I don'tn know about the breeding reason. When hibernation is so iffy, wouldn't you just have him up so you can watch him and play with him??? :)

cavities

Cambridge
I have never hibernated any of the many tortoises I've had. If you are not breeding, then there is no reason to hibernate...and I don'tn know about the breeding reason. When hibernation is so iffy, wouldn't you just have him up so you can watch him and play with him??? :)
Thank you for your take on this :)

cavities

Cambridge
Hello - I have a Hermanns tortoise who is now 24 years old, and he has never hibernated. The reason we didn't start was that he wasn't all that well when we got him (swollen eye, damaged shell, etc) and also very young, so we were afraid to risk it - and of course, this forum didn't exist, and we had no-one to advise us.
Anyway, he was fine, and in the end, we decided not to hibernate him in the future, either. He is healthy and strong. So if you would feel better not hibernating her,I think it would be ok - and personally, I would be inclined not to try after 10 years not doing so. I am not an expert, by any means, and maybe one who is would disagree.
Best wishes either way
Angie
Thank you very much for sharing this with me Angie :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, thank you. :) She's better than she was before. Her husbandry has been much improved, I hope. Thank you for your help and all the resources you provide here. They really helped her.

I have a question about hibernation. She's never hibernated before, originally because the person who sold her to my dad, who he trusted, said that she didn't need to and that it was fine to overwinter them. I believe that is incorrect, as the vet said so and as I've seen online. After I learnt this, the vet said she wasn't in good enough health to hibernate, so I overwintered her. But her health has been getting better, and this year, at her annual checkup, the vet gave the go-ahead to hibernate her.

I'm honestly terrified that I'll accidentally kill her if I try to hibernate her though since I've never done it before. I'm also still worried that her health may not be good enough even even though the vet said it should be, given her poor husbandry when she was little. Do you think it's safe or a good idea to hibernate her even if she hasn't before (she's 10 years old)? Would it be beneficial to her health? Is there a guide somewhere on the forum on how to hibernate Mediterranean tortoises or some resources that you find trustworthy? I'm finding some conflicting information on what to do, and it's concerning me.

Thank you for all your help.
I'm so glad that our info helped.

The brumation thing is a matter of opinion. Many opinions. Here is what I can tell you:
1. You do NOT have to brumate if you don't want to. Many people don't, and as far as we can tell, it does no harm to keep them up, though some tortoises will argue with you about this.
2. It is my opinion that species that wold brumate in the wild should also be brumated in captivity.
3. It is easy to do, natural, and when done correctly, it is not risky or scary at all. I've done it 100s of times with all sorts of tortoise, snakes and lizards. I do it every year.

It just so happens that I do have some info on that for you... :)