Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Davies

5 Year Member
Biting

My tortoise keeps trying to bite me. Is this a territorial thing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Biting

Hi Andy:

What kind of tortoise is it? How old is it?

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Andy Davies

5 Year Member
Be just joined here and I am a new beginner and I think I'm gonna need quite a bit of help. I think I'm turning into a hypochondriac as I've never kept a tortoise before so could do with a few questions answering. They are as follows:

- Sid doesn't eat much and can go for a couple of days without doing so...
- he will lie in his hollowed out log for a couple of days and just sleep...
- he reacts to the sight of my face and comes to say hello, but when I get close he tries to bit me, and has also tried to but my fingers a couple of times...
- what is the head bobbing all about. He seems to do it when I call his name / speak to him...
- he has bits of skin shedding around his neck...

Is all of this stuff normal for a Horsfield?

Matt99

5 Year Member
indiana (USA)
RE: Biting

I had a estern box turtel try to bite me so i fed it some worms and it stoped, so it might just want some protein or somthing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andy:

You probably have a male tortoise. They can be pretty aggressive when they want an interloper (you) out of their territory.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Hello, hopefully.someone who knows a lot.more will come and help with more info. As I am also new to owning a Russian tortoise :)
I can tell you that the skin shedding is a normal thing.
Depending how long you have had your tort staying in his hide might just be needing time to adjust.
May I ask how old approximately your tort is?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
My Russian female bites me. I think she thinks I have food. thou she seems to love to climb on my feet and bite my toes... :D They like to terrorize.. this is my theory. :tort:

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
When Comrad is eating and if I am holding food he will sometimes get eager and try to bite my finger.

But I think it's because he associates my hands with the "food goddess" and since the hand brings food, then it too must be food.... right ?? :tort: :D

Your tort does sound like he's being more territorial then thinking you are food though. (just my opinion) ;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Andy Davies said:
My tortoise keeps trying to bite me. Is this a territorial thing?...

- he reacts to the sight of my face and comes to say hello, but when I get close he tries to bit me, and has also tried to but my fingers a couple of times...

This is probably not aggressive behavior. Other than carnivorous turtles, like common and alligator snappers, I have never known a turtle or tortoise to attack a human. The only time I have ever bitten by one of my box turtles or tortoises, is when I was holding food out for them, and they tried to grab it and missed, biting me by mistake. Your tortoise is probably just accustomed to being hand-fed, and this is the only way he knows how to beg for food.

Andy Davies said:
Be just joined here and I am a new beginner and I think I'm gonna need quite a bit of help. I think I'm turning into a hypochondriac as I've never kept a tortoise before so could do with a few questions answering. They are as follows:

- Sid doesn't eat much and can go for a couple of days without doing so...
- he will lie in his hollowed out log for a couple of days and just sleep...

Maybe he's just still getting used to his new environment. Also, maybe he is full, maybe you are not offering the right foods, or maybe his environment is not the right temperature. What conditions does your Russian tortoise live in? Ambient daytime temperatures should be in the 70s to low 80s, with a basking spot of 95-100*F. Preferred nighttime temps are in the 60s. Without the right temperatures, a tortoise may be unable to become active or digest his food. Make sure he has the right environment so he can feel at his best.

Andy Davies said:
- what is the head bobbing all about. He seems to do it when I call his name / speak to him...

True head-bobbing occurs with neck outstretched, and the head being moved vigorously up and down. This behavior is usually issued by males, either as a threat to other males, or as a courtship signal to females.

That's probably not what you're referring. A lot of the "head-bobbing" that people ask about is really just breathing. Amphibians and reptiles do not have a diaphragm like we mammals have, and so they use their throat, or gular pouch to pump air into and out of their lungs. In the case of turtles, if the head is resting on the plastron (bottom shell), when the gular pouch inflates and deflates, it makes the head move up and down a little bit, in a manner somewhat similar to head-bobbing. But it's not true head-bobbing. It's only breathing, and it's completely normal.

Andy Davies said:
- he has bits of skin shedding around his neck...

This is normal for a growing reptile. Snakes periodically shed all their outer skin at once, but for turtles it comes off bit by bit every once in a while, when it can no longer expand enough to accommodate the turtle's growing body. Again, this is quite normal.

Andy Davies said:
Is all of this stuff normal for a Horsfield?

Well, again, I wouldn't worry about the breathing or shedding, but it does sound like his appetite and activity are quite low. Make sure the temperatures are right, and give him some time to settle in, and that could be all that's needed to solve the problem. If not, let us know and we can advise your further.

Andy Davies

5 Year Member
I'm still having real trouble with his eating. I cleaned him out a week ago and I don't think he has eaten since. I put fresh food down for him every day but when I return home, it's still there. He is sleeping a lot, but is still as keen as ever to have a run around the lounge when he hears me come home.
I'm starting to wonder if he needs to be rehoused as I'm not sure that I'm getting things right for him. I'm desperate to keep him, but I'm thinking about what's right for him.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
What temperature are you keeping the cage? What is the temperature under his basking light and what is the cooler side? Having the proper temp is important to him eating.

Andy Davies

5 Year Member
Kerryann said:
What temperature are you keeping the cage? What is the temperature under his basking light and what is the cooler side? Having the proper temp is important to him eating.

The hutch is at room temp (approx 23 degrees) and his basking light is circa 25-30 degrees. It's always been at this temp, and I had a period of approx 2 weeks when he was eating properly, which stopped when I cleaned his hutch out.
He spends every moment of the day under a half log, asleep, and only comes out then he hears me. When I take him out he is like normal, and runs around like a mad thing, but surely he can't go on like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.