Hi, again? ...

Yuukari

5 Year Member
My name is Katie, I'm from southern California. I have three Russians. I disappeared from the forum a while ago when my tortoise wandered away, May of last year. Last Monday (March 10th)a muddy little tortoise wandered up to me while I was refinishing some furniture. After soaking her and looking over her shell, I realized it her (Gertrude), my very large Russian tortoise.
Since her departure we have adopted two more Russians Delilah and Franklin.

Here's a picture of Gurtrude attempting an escape from her new indoor enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_20150312_151228005.jpg
    IMG_20150312_151228005.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Wow, what luck! congrats on her coming back! Sounds like you'll really need to escape proof any outdoor enclosure for her!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's the second time Gertrude has walked into your yard! She must like it there.
Don't let her get away again.
I like a story with a happy ending, glad you got her back and now you are more experienced, what with the other two.
Welcome back!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Katie.

If you tell me your previous username I can ask Josh to combine the two accounts for you.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How cool is that? I wonder if she will have a hard time being in an enclosure after all the freedom she had! Congrats!!!

Yuukari

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, Yvonne this is the same account, thank you tho.
I do have a bit more experience under my belt, but still a bit lost.
I am pretty impressed with my outdoor enclosure,it is rather secure now, 17' x 4' cinder block enclosure underpinned 2' and 2' to the substrate, pretty sure she can't get out again.
For now its shared til I figure out what to do, but the fighting is pretty bad :(.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe divide the enclosure into 3? That's still nearly 6' x 4' each, which is not too bad for Russians. They don't need the company, as you know and they'll be less stressed without the competition and fighting. It sounds like the new 2 consider Gertrude a threat, or, if they can remember, a returning and no longer required queen bee, so to speak.
It's usually handbags at slow speed sort of stuff, but they could, potentially, cause injury and certainly stress is a factor.
Sounds like a super new enclosure.

Yuukari

5 Year Member
Yeah trying to figure out how to divide it I tried once and they dug under, any ideas of a easy and quick to install/get divider, the dug under the rock wall I tried.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hmmm, I'm not much of an artificer. Maybe dig a trench and fill it with cement under the divider? Maybe have a look at the enclosures forum? I dunno, I've only got the one now, when I used to have two they didn't bother each other, kept well apart quite naturally, but their indoor enclosures were separate.

Yuukari

5 Year Member
The girls are getting along really well but my male is aggressive, to his own detriment, my husband and I are discussing re-homing him, before he gets himself really hurt. :(

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good to have you back and so glad you found your torts! ! !