Hi All..New Sulcata Mommy Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I got so wrapped up in this forum and taking care of Spunky, I actually forgot to introduce ourselves. I got Spunky from a very nice lady in San Antonio, Texas . She found him under a flower pot in a rental house. I dunno why people do stuff like that. Poor Baby.She brought him to me ( i say him I'm not sure if its male or female) . I just know he stole my heart and he won't give it back. Lol I've had lots of rescued animals but he's my first tortoise ever. I was lost caring for him until i found this forum. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. You guys are awesome.

Sorry for double :

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I wouldn't mind finding something like a tortoise under my flower pots. I only find slugs:( If you haven't seen it yet, take a read of Toms great threads at the bottom of my post. Great for raising baby sulcatas. By the way, we would love to see pics.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi there! I went back to pretend chat to see if you replied to my reply to you and it was not on there anymore!!:( I think it was deleted for some reason. I thot anyone could chat on there ? Oh well.
I had told you to introduce yourself :) welcome to TFO!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
luvpetz27 said:
Hi there! I went back to pretend chat to see if you replied to my reply to you and it was not on there anymore!!:( I think it was deleted for some reason. I thot anyone could chat on there ? Oh well.

Nope nothing has been deleted from chat.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I'm sorry. And Hello to you also. I'm going to see if I can post pictures of Spunky here.
IMG_20130207_183146.jpg

IMG_20130204_193821.jpg

IMG_20130204_193831.jpg

Yeah it worked..lets see if this video works..
player.swf

Video won't work but here's a few pics. :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you both very much. He eats everything I give him. And I pray he stays healthy I do still worry all the time. New mommy jitters..when does it end. I'm constantly checking on him. My husband says and I quote " That tortoise is gonna be fine, I'm just not sure about my wife " lol

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I do have questions like do sulcatas need to be kept on a schedule with feedings? Or do I just keep food available always for him. What's the best day and night temperatures for a 16 to 20 month old sulcata baby? And what about humidity ? I've been told by some that humidity is bad for sulcatas, I just want him happy and healthy any info greatly appreciated.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
sissyofone said:
I do have questions like do sulcatas need to be kept on a schedule with feedings? Or do I just keep food available always for him. What's the best day and night temperatures for a 16 to 20 month old sulcata baby? And what about humidity ? I've been told by some that humidity is bad for sulcatas, I just want him happy and healthy any info greatly appreciated.

Toms threads are a great read humidity for any baby is GOOD I suggest pm tom for help if your answers aren't found on his thread he is more then happy to help XD

I don't have the room for sulcata's currently so I don't have any experience keeping them sorry :(

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yes he seems good to me. I got two different stories about him being found. So I don't know I'm just glad I have him now. :)

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Hi and welcome!! I'm a bit jealous of you--I wish i could find a lil tort under a pot at my house (all i find are bugs...). Besides, it's okay to be paranoid... I haven't even gotten my first tort yet (I'll be getting it soon!) and I'm about 10x more paranoid than I was a few months ago! And, everyone here is so kind and helpfu, I'm sure that they'll help you with any questions you have (they sure have with me!)!!😃. Spunky is so cute and I love his name!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a cute baby!!! Spunky needs warm temps and humidity. Above all, sulcatas need a structured schedule. Feedings should be the same times each day. Make a schedule for feedings, soaks, outside time and exercise, and then stick to it. If you don't have these things, I recommend that you get them asap. 1. Mercury vapor bulb for UVb 2. Ceramic hear emitter (CHE) for nighttime heat 3. Temp gun 4. Coco coir and organic dirt (mix half & half) 5. Hide 6. 40-50 gal plastic tub enclosure w/lid 7. Small plant saucer for his water 8. Low rim dish for his food. 9. Water bottle mister or fogger so that his enclosure stays humid. 10. An under tank heating pad (if you're using a tank) or a heating pad in his hide. You need to keep his enclosure no lower than 80 degrees, and his hot spot should be 95-105. Read Tom's threads on sulcata care. You'll get the 4 temps you'll need. Best to you and baby.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
@chinque Hi and Thank you so much. Ive been checking out Toms threads and everyone else's. Trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. :) I didn't have time before I got him to be nervous. But since I've had him I've been a bag of nerves. Good luck to you. And let us know when your new baby arrives.

@sibi Hello. I got the lights and heating pad. Actually I think I have everything now. I'm keeping him in a 55 gallon aquarium for now with organic topsoil and organic cypress mulch. I only have one hidey spot for him but I'm going to get him another one. I have a flat food dish with half in sides for him to eat out of and it's sunk so its easy for him to get in it. I've been soaking him in am and again in pm. I do still need to get temperature and humidity gages will pick them up in am. I gotta make a list. :0 lol

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Spunky is soooooooooooooooooooo cute :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to you both and congratulations on your new lifelong family member. He's a cutie! Glad to see you are doing so much reading! I always encourage new members to read read read!

Status
Not open for further replies.