Hi, I'm new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chase and I live in New Braunfels, Tx (15min NE of San Antonio), and I've had a Russian tortoise since 2002... his name is Sampson.

The petstore I got him from thought he was a "strange box turtle" and was trying to feed him crickets and stuff. I couldn't afford him, so I traded a baby burmese python to the pet store owner because I felt so bad for the weird turtle. I took a picture of him and put it up on kingsnake.com back in '02 and they told me he wasn't a turtle afterall, he was a Russian Tortoise. I have him in a 55gallon rubbermaid container with 2 Zoomed 10.0 bulbs, and cypress mulch as his substrate. He eats Romaine, Radiccio, Endive, and Escarole. I took him to a vet and found he had parasites, so I filled a strawberry with Panacure (spelling?) and got rid of them. I have never attempted to hibernate him (heard too many horror stories of Hibernations that went wrong). I have no idea how old he is, and I'm positive it's a boy.

I hope to post pictures soon. His "beak" is starting to grow extremely long and I have no idea of how to trim it down. I think he's ready for a new type of house but I don't know what to get him. I haven't had a heat lamp in there for years, and I know I need to get one but I'm not sure what to get. I'll be posting about him soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Chase :)

You will find some good ideas if you search the enclosure forum, the tortoise related products forum and of course the russian forum.
If you still have questions, by all means post them.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Chase :).
Sampson is very lucky you bought him, poor him, thinking he is a strange box turtle!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chase: Welcome to the forum! Its pretty good news that you were able to rescue that poor box turtle and turn him into a Russian tortoise and start feeding him the right stuff!!!:D

Again...welcome!! We're glad to have you here.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Welcome to the forum Chase. Lots of good info and educated people here. Danny is right (which I have read is not uncommon. I have read alot of "ask Danny, he'll know"), you can become very well educated reading previous threads and looking at the links that have been posted in threads related to that subject.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Welcome!

Thought I'd say hi here, and thanks for posting your tortoise's picture up on my thread for me to see his tail! Now I have a good idea of what a male tortoise looks like compared to a female.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome, I am glad you were able to bring him home. A nice custom enclosure would work, mine are mostly outside but when they are in they go into 5' long, 2' wide, 1' tall boxes. Can't wait to see photos.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Am sitting here laughing because I am imagining the expression on his face, when offered those food items. :D Glad you found him and have now found us. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum! Your story only adds weight to my theory that 90% of pet store owners are, in fact, idiots :D

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.