Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I'm Patrick from Wisconsin. I have one Greek Tortoise, Apollo.

Need a couple of suggestions. I'll be heading off to college this fall but am determined to keep my tortoise, who I've had for about 9 years now. Any suggestions for a space efficient housing unit? Also, is he alright on a diet of mixed lettuce varieties supplemented with calcium dust for awhile? Finally, he has never hibernated over the winter, is that an issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3893360229.png
    image-3893360229.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 25
  • image-3436684903.png
    image-3436684903.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 21

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! His hibernating is not an issue, it's pretty much a choice between you and your tortoise. Will you be living too far from home to keep him there? Or no caregiver at home? I do worry about college life and wonder about how much company you may have that have no knowledge of tortoises and may do things they think are "cute and funny" that may harm him. Just sorta something to think about. Are you thinking a dorm or off campus housing? Many dorms I know don't allow pets.

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I am going to have to do dorm life, but will be very protective of him in terms of guests. Unfortunately I cannot leave him home to be cared for, so I am just hoping to keep him in an inconspicuous place in my dorm.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
The first thing to do is find out if pets are allowed in your dorm room. Some colleges have pet-friendly dorms, some do not. If the dorm does not allow pets, I wouldn't take the chance of trying to hide him only to be caught and have to get him out quickly. In that case, it would be better to find someone to care for him for your first year in college.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I also think it would be in the tortoise's best interest to find someone to care for him while you're in college.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Could you may be find somebody who lives near campus, who could keep him. Then you could go over and do the actual caring of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.