Hi All

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinla2012

5 Year Member
IMG_0800.JPGIMG_0800.JPGI'm new to TF & have many questions. My husband found a Russian Tortoise in the middle of our backyard about a month & a half ago. How it got in our fenced in yard is still an utter mystery to us. We tried to locate it's original owners with no success. Because we are such huge animal lovers, we decided to adopt him (we really don't know the sex just guessing). Never thought we'd get attached to a tortoise but he's so adorable with such a cute personality that we couldn't just leave him to fend for himself. Whoever had him before must've taken great care of him because the vet gave him a clean bill of health (fecal test was also clean). We named him Tortolini (a name we figured is somewhat unisex if later we find out that he is really a she-lol). I've been trying to educate myself about RTs but there's so much conflicting information on the net so here I am. Now that the intro is done, here are my questions...how do you determine the sex & age? The reptile vet at VCA Animal Hospital was not able to determine his sex or age. He is 5" long & 4 1/2" wide. Do they or don't they over-eat? Do you feed him everyday or every other day & what is the proper portion of food? His diet consists of dandelions, various kale & other mixed leafy greens that everyone mentions. Tortolini sleeps facing his food dish or actually gets in his dish to sleep everyday around the same time to let us know he's hungry. And if you're late feeding him, he starts scratching at the glass. Is that normal? If he has a UVA/UVB lamp in his veranium, does he still need to go outside everyday? The guy at the reptile store told me to sprinkle a little calcium powder w/d3 over his food whenever I feed him but now I'm reading that they can actually OD on calcium. How do you know if that has happened? His skin looks much greener to me now then when we first got him-is that normal? Lastly, I've heard three different sounds come out of his mouth. One is the sucking in air sound that people talk about here on TF but the other two sounds are not mentioned. A very high pitched squeak sound once when I took him outside & a soft high pitched sound (almost like a dog barking-arf, arf, arf) one day when I put him in his warm water soak. I've only heard these 2 sounds once...what do they mean?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When he was in the warm water, he was probably flagging (flashing or showing his penis). The barking sounds go along with breeding.

A good source of info can be found on russiantortoise.org. And of course, we're here to answer your questions!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Better to go outside for natural sun light as often as possible. If you can get him out 3 times a week or more for an hour or so, he doesn't need the UVB light. Calcium, only twice a week, just a pinch. Can't really tell his age, as they all grow at different rates. Someone might be able to give you a ball park guess though. Also, I will leave the diet for a Russian owner.
BTW, Hello and Welcome. Glad you found us.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! I would be remiss if i didnt ask where you are located. I have been hunting for a male that got lost a couple of months ago.

tinla2012

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Welcome to tfo! I would be remiss if i didnt ask where you are located. I have been hunting for a male that got lost a couple of months ago.
Where do you live??? We live in Los Angeles. We are extremely sympathetic for your loss but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my fingers are crossed & I'm praying that we have not found your lost Russian. It would absolutely break our hearts to have to say goodbye to Tortolini!

tinla2012

5 Year Member
Thanks to all of you for the welcome & responses. The information & links are very helpful:)

Status
Not open for further replies.