Tortoises and sound

avocado_fresh111

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I will probably be getting a Russian Tortoise soon, and I will be keeping him in my room. The one thing I'm worried about is that I play violin and practice in my room. I don't want to cause my tortoise any discomfort with high pitched or loud sounds, given that several places in the pieces I'm working on go higher than an average piano. I can always practice with a mute to limit the intensity of the sound, but will that be enough?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't have ears like we do, and the sounds they hear are more along the lines of vibrations. I doubt playing the violin will bother the tortoise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I will probably be getting a Russian Tortoise soon, and I will be keeping him in my room. The one thing I'm worried about is that I play violin and practice in my room. I don't want to cause my tortoise any discomfort with high pitched or loud sounds, given that several places in the pieces I'm working on go higher than an average piano. I can always practice with a mute to limit the intensity of the sound, but will that be enough?
The only noise I've ever tried to limit for all of my animals is firecrackers. Other then that none. I play my radio, t.v., people talking and visiting him, and there's zebra finches singing in his environment daily.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Critters get used to all sorts of noises in the wild, and they can get used to all sorts in captivity.

In your case, I would start with short sessions of pianissimo and work up to your normal practice schedule and volume within a few days. I've seen many reptiles take an interest in music.