Hi all

paigechelseaa

My name is Paige :) from the UK

Brought my first tortoise today and so far not having good luck! She seems healthy, I new what to check for, she is a decent weight, nice smooth shell (no pyramiding etc), skin was a little dry but better after a soak. She hasn't eaten or drank yet, had a soak though, doesn't want to explore her habitat too much yet, moves between the corners and her main hide. Burrows down a lot, should I be worried about the lack of eating? I have offered different foods I new were suitable and added the nutrobal dusting, I have a UVB and UVA heat bulb, however it has blown straight away (so expensive and so my luck) got to get a new one first thing tomorrow. Will she be safe with no bulb on? I know the store I purchased from had the bulb on her for 9 ish hours before my purchase maybe more, and I had it on for two before it blew. Temp is about 20-25 C atm which is worrying me but it is night and she is burrowed so I hope she will be okay??? Sorry this was a lot I am worried, please help reassure anyone? Many thanks Paige x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Paige, and welcome to the Forum!!

You've neglected to tell us what kind of tortoise you have.

Being without a light for a short while isn't going to harm the tortoise, but remember, unless a tortoise can get his interior core temperature up to at LEAST 85F degrees, he won't eat because he can't digest his food.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
welcome Paige to the wonderful world of TFO. Please give us some info on what type of tortoise you have ;)

paigechelseaa

Sorry, I have a horsfield I thought I mentioned it but maybe not. Thank you for your warm welcome and quick reply. I am aware of the problems caused by a lack of light but as I mentioned she hasn't ate so I would assume not much to digest. I will buy a new bulb tomorrow ASAP for her

Kele7710

5 Year Member
It can take a couple of weeks for tort to feel 'hey I'm safe in my new environment' daily soaks correct temps he/she will come out of shell :D

paigechelseaa

She is still being lethargic and jumpy around me but she has pood today and it looked healthy so I guess that's good news?