Hi everyone

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Just wandering would it be ok if I used a heat lamp with no light with a dual thermostat as here in the uk it's getting very cold esp at night. I have a uvb lamp, is that enough light wise or do I still need a bulb for light? My baby hermann is 4 mths old.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Tortoises can't sleep properly with any light on during the night. It's because of this that members buy a ceramic heat emitter (CHE). It radiates heat without a light. If that's what you have, then by all means, this is what your hermann needs. And if it's on a thermostat, better yet. Nothing can result from using just one object on a dual thermostat. Get your baby warm at night so he can be happy and healthy :)

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Yep that's a ceramic heater and a good thermostat, I'm also in the uk and use the same for my leopard tort

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
The thermostat will give me the right temp during the day and also the right temp during the night with the use of a heat lamp so I will take my bulb out as won't need this heat source anymore. Have my UVB bulb so will this be enough light for him

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Hmmm not sure what you mean-can u post a pic? Is it a twisted bulb? The uv tubes are the best in my opinion.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Make sure that the UVb bulb you are or plan to use is not the coil type. The tube is best, and id you want to maintain a consistent nighttime temp, I would suggest you get a temp gun. This will aid you in adjusting the heights of the light and heat sources correctly.