Hi from another AZ Sulcata

daleth42

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
HI my name is Doug. My wife and I just brought home a hatching sully.

rskr.jpg

We've got him in a 20 gallon long terrarium right now until we can get an appropriate enclosure built for him. We're looking forward to seeing Bowser grow and explore our yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your little cutie has some pyramiding going on already. That means he was hatched and raised dry before you got him. Give him a warm soak every day for 20-30 minutes. Also, read atoms threads below in my post for raising him to grow new growth in smooth.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome to TFO [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

daleth42

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
His new home is moist with a little humid hide, so hopefully the pyramiding will stop and grow smooth from here on out. :) In preparation for bringing him home I've read and re-read each of Tom's beginner threads to get ready.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did your homework, good for you. That little guy got a great place to call home:)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...two things i would change. One is i would remove the hay, if your humidity is at 80% and above like it should be it will mold easily. And 2, i would put something around the outter bottom so that he cant see out. Other then that. I dont know. I cant see a dish for food or water so i cant say anything else. Cute little one... does he/ she have a name?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Like Mainely34 mentioned, the substrate should be changed, and coco coir is a favorite among many here as a substrate. I'd mix 50/50 of coco coir and organic soil (no fertilizers or chemicals). I just ask that you read just one more of Tom's threads. It's under my name below. It's a must read for new parents:)

Correction: it's the second of the three threads listed. The first and third threads are great for those who want ideas on how to build an enclosure.

daleth42

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
The photo is of his ride home in a critter carrier. He was raised on the timothy hay, but we've got him on repti-bark in his new enclosure. It also has a piece of flagstone for him to bask and eat on and a terra cotta dish for water. This is his starter enclosure while I plan and build a more permanent one.

q3se.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I actually like that substrate for baby sulcatas (sorry Sibi), but like mainey said, I would remove the hay and then dampen it up substantially. Make sure you keep it nice and warm when you do this, even at night.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Hi and welcome to TFO! Is this your first tortoise? What caused you to decide to not only get a tortoise, but a sulcata? :tort:

daleth42

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Jacqui, yes this is our first tortoise. My wife works with a few people that have sulcatas and we loved their size and curiosity. They weren't the typical image of a tortoise, a slow shambling rock, but instead had good mobility, wanted to investigate everything, and had their own personalities.

Except for our pool, our backyard is a giant patch of bermuda grass and rocks around the edges, we're planning on building him a pen once he's big enough to live outside, so "renovations" shouldn't be a problem :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and thanks for all the posts and wisdom Tom, it's made bringing home a new family member much easier. So far the only issue is keeping temp and humidity in the tank. I'll get it up to 80% but it falls down to 60% over time. Temps seem ok during the day, but at night it dropped to 75, so I'll probably be picking up a CHE and thermostat this weekend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Doug, and welcome to the Forum!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I would also cover half the tank where there is no lights. It would keep temps up and humidity in

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I love how all of these AZ tort peeps are popping up [WHITE SMILING FACE]️Makes me do a happy turtle dance!