Hi from New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilonesome

5 Year Member
Hi, I am Brenda and I'm here to learn all I can to make sure I give my baby Sully Bailey everything he needs to grow up to be a strong healthy tortoise with a nice shell. Right now he is only 2 months old and I am getting so much conflicting information. So right now he's eating hay(or trying to get him switched to hay and grasses). Here's a couple pics of my sweet lil Bailey.

Trying to get him to stay on the lens cap to compare sizes

Almost

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to TFO. READ THE THREADS AT THE TOP OF THE SULCATA SECTION. Or use your search button at the top of screen and look up Tom's care sheets and that is all you need to know . If you do what Tom tells you in his care sheet you will have one beautiful smooth SULCATA that is healthy.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brenda, and welcome to the Forum!!

I really doubt you're going to get Bailey to eat hay at this young age. If you want to try grinding some hay in the coffee grinder and sprinkling it over the greens from the store, he might eat it that way. Buy dark, leafy greens, and to that add some weeds from the yard. Good ones that are available this time of year are mallow, dandelion, any of the clovers, mullberry leaves, grape leaves, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms great threads below in my post for raising Sullies healthy and smooth.

hilonesome

5 Year Member
UGHHHHH Ok, so now my headache is worse, I've read and read and read on what to do for tortoises to make sure they are healthy. I was told Greens were for treat only and that they should eat hay for most of their nutrients. Of course little guy doesn't eat hay because he hates it, he circles it and circles it like "what the heck is this." Well my husband will be happier because he hates the fact little guy doesn't like hay and I was told to give him tough love and force him to eat it. Ok I'll give him his greens, he will like that.

hilonesome

5 Year Member
I put his greens on his plate, yeah he is devouring them, I feel better that he is eating. I pick what little weeds we have in our backyard too but honestly we have very little anything but dirt growing back there. Got to love the desert. I found dandelion at the local health food store, took for every to explain I couldn't use pills because it was for a tortoise but they finally got it. Question, Collards or no collards?

hilonesome

5 Year Member
Thanks Pam, I hope to get better ones, just kind of hard to get him to stand still. I sort of want to take him out front in the gravel, let him run around in the sun but it's turantula breeding season so they are everywhere. Not sure if one would bother with Bailey, but I don't want to take a chance.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, collards are fine. This is what I did when my sullies were that tiny. I get grass from the pet store. The grass didn't have any fertilizers in it at all. It was also very soft. I used a scissor to cut tiny pieces into their food. I do use mazuri and tort pellets to ensure they have all their nutrition. Not only do they get to eat grass, but it will help them to transition over to hay in a couple of years. Welcome to the forum, and your baby is absolutely adorable!

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
Hello and welcome, I am also a newbie. I know exactly how you feel regarding conflicting info on the net, I have to say, people here have been so helpful in helping me care for my Desert Torts :) Bailey is adorable by the way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.