Hi from the beautiful county of Yorkshire, England

BritishSoldier

Location (City and/or State)
Ripon, UK
My name’s ‘H’. I own a 9 year old, beautiful Eastern Hermanns Tortoise. (I’ve just bought ‘it’, (not sure if it’s a girl or boy), a new tortoise table, as it managed to dig a hole through its last enclosure.)

I’ve joined the forum to:
- Find out about optimum temperatures for my tortoises new environment.
- Use of heat mat.
- Sexing my tortoise

I’ll also look forward to conversing with like minded animal lovers.

HELLO!

700032DC-6B88-4042-B552-AD9FD80856C1.jpeg
(‘Sponge’ the tortoise)

56DD2CED-7A6D-4F64-A7A2-6E66D67B8313.jpeg
(There’s still some work to do on the table)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

And yes, you're right - that IS a beautiful tortoise.

We have a very good care sheet on the Hermanni tortoise that was written by a very experienced tortoise keeper. You can find it pinned towards the top of our Hermanns section.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would mske a few tweaks to your enclosure. Your CHE probably isnt very effective way up there the way it is hanging, you might look to lowering it do it can warm a larger area. A lot of heat/warmth is radiating upwards, not down. The substrate you have there comes with those calcium/perlite bits which unfortunately encourages torts to pick and peck and eat their substrate.
You will probably want to swap it out.

If you havent found the guide.... https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

BritishSoldier

Ripon, UK
I would mske a few tweaks to your enclosure. Your CHE probably isnt very effective way up there the way it is hanging, you might look to lowering it do it can warm a larger area. A lot of heat/warmth is radiating upwards, not down. The substrate you have there comes with those calcium/perlite bits which unfortunately encourages torts to pick and peck and eat their substrate.
You will probably want to swap it out.

If you havent found the guide.... https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
Hi @Maro2Bear.
Thanks for the info.

Could you please tell me what CHE stands for, and what is a substrate?

Respect & regards,

H

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OOPS - I forgot 'substrate'.

Substrate is the dirt you cover the floor of the enclosure with. I prefer orchid bark, the fine grade, because it is not harmful to the tortoise, is easy for them to walk on and seems to stay clean longer.

BritishSoldier

Ripon, UK
OOPS - I forgot 'substrate'.

Substrate is the dirt you cover the floor of the enclosure with. I prefer orchid bark, the fine grade, because it is not harmful to the tortoise, is easy for them to walk on and seems to stay clean longer.
Can you give m a link to your chosen ‘substrate’ please?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_0074.jpg

You can get it from Pets at Home or if you have any reptile shops nearby they will sell it, I buy it cheaper from my local reptile shop.

The stuff you have I think is tortoise terrain? Basically they try to eat the white bits in it but they end up eating the substrate and it can cause a blockage. Not sure if it had sand in it too, sand is really bad for the eyes.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_0075.jpg

Just noticed that I don’t see a basking bulb in your enclosure? Not sure if it’s hidden by the side?

The basking temperature should be around 95-97.

This is mine, I use half coco coir (which is messy) and half orchid bark.

You could add some plants, real or fake I have a mixture of both.

Some of the favourites I’ve found are pansies, petunia, campanula (is the fav) hibiscus

also if you look on eBay there is a shop called shelled warriors and they sell seeds you can plant on the windowsill And grow.

also forgot to add I think your tortoise is a female.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, I'm in Wales.
The caresheet will be invaluable in helping you get the temps, substrate, humidity and especially the diet right - many people think they can just throw some lettuce and fruit in for their tort, but neither are good for them. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods too.
The Beginners Mistakes thread will also help you avoid problems encountered by others.
I use a wide dome on my che and basking bulb so that the heat is directed down and not lost as it rises. I bought mine from the Range.
If you do get a basking bulb don't go for the coiled or cfl type loopy bulbs as these can damage tort eyes.The Range also sell basking and daylight spot bulbs.
Heat mats as sold for reptiles here in UK aren't really recommended for torts especially under substrate.
Your enclosure is OK but it's a bit on the small side for an older tort, 4 x 8 feet is the minimum recommended for young adults. Do you have a safe outside enclosure for your tort to get some time with real uvb and more space? Have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas on how to make it tort and predator proof.
I think your tort is a female judging by the tail - but I could be wrong - I have a male leopard called Lola!
Enjoy finding out all about tortoise care and ask as many questions as you need someone will be around to help and point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

BritishSoldier

Ripon, UK
View attachment 270898

Just noticed that I don’t see a basking bulb in your enclosure? Not sure if it’s hidden by the side?

The basking temperature should be around 95-97.

This is mine, I use half coco coir (which is messy) and half orchid bark.

You could add some plants, real or fake I have a mixture of both.

Some of the favourites I’ve found are pansies, petunia, campanula (is the fav) hibiscus

also if you look on eBay there is a shop called shelled warriors and they sell seeds you can plant on the windowsill And grow.

also forgot to add I think your tortoise is a female.
Great ad use. Thank you

BritishSoldier

Ripon, UK
Hi and welcome, I'm in Wales.
The caresheet will be invaluable in helping you get the temps, substrate, humidity and especially the diet right - many people think they can just throw some lettuce and fruit in for their tort, but neither are good for them. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods too.
The Beginners Mistakes thread will also help you avoid problems encountered by others.
I use a wide dome on my che and basking bulb so that the heat is directed down and not lost as it rises. I bought mine from the Range.
If you do get a basking bulb don't go for the coiled or cfl type loopy bulbs as these can damage tort eyes.The Range also sell basking and daylight spot bulbs.
Heat mats as sold for reptiles here in UK aren't really recommended for torts especially under substrate.
Your enclosure is OK but it's a bit on the small side for an older tort, 4 x 8 feet is the minimum recommended for young adults. Do you have a safe outside enclosure for your tort to get some time with real uvb and more space? Have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas on how to make it tort and predator proof.
I think your tort is a female judging by the tail - but I could be wrong - I have a male leopard called Lola!
Enjoy finding out all about tortoise care and ask as many questions as you need someone will be around to help and point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the advise.