Incubation vs buying live

C-Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, CA
Hello,

I recently joined the forum. I figured it was a good time, because I plan to achieve my goal of owning a redfoot - a desire I’ve had for years - very soon. I’ve got a terrarium setup that I bought before I knew about tortoise tables, and it’s looking quite cozy so far (for a starter habitat). I am blocking his/her view of the outside world with cardboard to ensure that no unnecessary stress is experienced by my new tort...

Anyway, that was all just an introduction to my actual question for this community...

So I’ve been finding mixed info online, and I am wondering what you all will say about this:
What are the benefits to incubating a tort at home opposed to buying one that is already alive? Sure there will be extra work during the hatchling stage, but I am feeling up to the challenge. I am a wildlife biologist who has worked with turtles and tortoises for years now, and I have assisted with gopher tortoise and diamondback terrapin incubation studies in the past...

All that being said, I am also having a hard time finding redfoot eggs online. Russian, Sulcata and Hermann eggs are easily attainable, but I can’t find RF or YF eggs at all. Is there a reason for this? Is their sale restricted by IUCN, or anything? Is hatching my own redfoot a pipe dream that I should give up on, or is there still hope for me to be the first living thing that my baby ever lays eyes on? Also, does it make much of a difference in the tort’s behavior? I know that owls and alligators show strong fidelity to their “Ma-Ma,” but Chelonians (turtles and torts) do not typically care for their young. Maybe torts just see us all as similar beings, or do they show fidelity towards their animal husbands who incubated them?

Sorry for the first post being so long! I’ll try to keep them down to a minimum of 40,000 words in the future ;)
Thanks in advance to all you beautiful tortoise lovers!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you're set on hatching your own, find a breeder as close to you as you can. The obvious reason to buy a baby is that you actually get a baby. Eggs are a gamble.The odds can be good, but no guarantee. The baby could care less who it sees first, they will only care who brings the food in the future.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just my opinion here. If I had known before I started attaining tortoises to produce my own, that I could have just purchased an egg to hatch, I would have done that.
However, I wouldn't have done it for my first tortoise. I would have wanted the experience of raising one first, get the notches out before bringing in an egg.
If you do find an egg to purchase, do it from someone that is well known. Gives some kind of gurantee and does the shipping within hours of the egg being laid. The egg can only be moved from its upward position in the first 48 hours of it being laid.
(I'm hoping my memory is correct on the 48 hours. I also am not sure that it is a proven time)

C-Turtle

Lodi, CA
Great! Thanks for the information everyone. I will be sure to get with a breeder about getting an egg. Y’all please feel free to chime in with anymore tips and advice :tort: