Hi! Glad to have found this place.

atintofgold

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I live in Michigan and yesterday while at the pet store I saw the cutest Russian tortoise. It took everything not to scoop him up then and there. I slept on it, and being an adult with my own control have decided I’d like to own one. I’ve read through so many posts and am starting to make a list of all the things I need. I’m going to do a large indoor enclosure and possibly an outdoor one for the spring/summer as well.

My question to you all is, is Russian the best one for my climate? Are there others that are suited to living in Michigan better? I like the Russians because they don’t require a higher humidity as others I’ve read about so I think it’s more so ‘beginner friendly’. I’ve only ever owned turtles so this is a huge difference to me.

I’d love to be able to have them outside when the temp is right and still be healthy and happy.

Can any provide insight? Also sorry if this isn’t the right thread I’m on my phone! Thanks!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.
Yes, a Russian is fine for Michigan.
Be sure to get the info you need for his proper care, lighting, heat, diet, humidity, etc from this forum. Do not let the pet store sell you a bunch of stuff that isn't good for tortoises
A hatchling Russian still needs a closed chamber and high humidity, 80%. An adult only needs 30-50% humidity, but it's still required
A tube florescent for uvb
Incandescent flood bulb for basking
Ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed and night heat
Basking temp should reach 95-100
All over day 80
Night temps if not brumating should be 70.
The enclosure should be bright during the day to help keep him up from brumating.
Pet store Russians are usually Wild Caught and at least 5 years or older. Don't count on the age they tell you.

atintofgold

Michigan
Hello and Welcome.
Yes, a Russian is fine for Michigan.
Be sure to get the info you need for his proper care, lighting, heat, diet, humidity, etc from this forum. Do not let the pet store sell you a bunch of stuff that isn't good for tortoises
A hatchling Russian still needs a closed chamber and high humidity, 80%. An adult only needs 30-50% humidity, but it's still required
A tube florescent for uvb
Incandescent flood bulb for basking
Ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed and night heat
Basking temp should reach 95-100
All over day 80
Night temps if not brumating should be 70.
The enclosure should be bright during the day to help keep him up from brumating.
Pet store Russians are usually Wild Caught and at least 5 years or older. Don't count on the age they tell you.
Thank you for the tips! The per shop said he was about 5 months or so. When are they considered adults?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Russians are one of the easiest species to own (though easy is a relative term, they are harder than most people realize), but the pet store is almost certainly lying to you. Its what they do.

Is it a "mom and pop" pet store, or a chain store? A chain store is almost certainly selling you a wild caught adult. They just tell people the age they think they want to hear to best make a sale.

I don't want to tell you "don't buy it" because support pet stores and this industry sucks (it does) but that tortoise is already there and sounds like you'd give it a good home. Also consider taking a look at CL and you'll see if any are available for rescue.

atintofgold

Michigan
Russians are one of the easiest species to own (though easy is a relative term, they are harder than most people realize), but the pet store is almost certainly lying to you. Its what they do.

Is it a "mom and pop" pet store, or a chain store? A chain store is almost certainly selling you a wild caught adult. They just tell people the age they think they want to hear to best make a sale.

I don't want to tell you "don't buy it" because support pet stores and this industry sucks (it does) but that tortoise is already there and sounds like you'd give it a good home. Also consider taking a look at CL and you'll see if any are available for rescue.
It was a small pet store in my local town. I’m going to work on getting the enclosure set up before buying so it might be a few weeks and I’ll check to see if it’s still there before I go elsewhere. He definitely needs a good home but with the holidays I’ll need at least a couple weeks to gather all my supplies.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It was a small pet store in my local town. I’m going to work on getting the enclosure set up before buying so it might be a few weeks and I’ll check to see if it’s still there before I go elsewhere. He definitely needs a good home but with the holidays I’ll need at least a couple weeks to gather all my supplies.
Do you have a sense of how big it is, inches wise?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
sounds like an adult to me. Adult male russians can be 4-5" big, females larger. a baby would be like a golf ball or baseball

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You can post a picture of it on the forum for confirmation. Fauna classifieds sells tortoises as well. I would read the care sheets and ask any questions before purchasing items if you want to. I have a leopard tortoise and purchased a desert box turtle from fauna. Welcome to the forum.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. I have Speedy the Russion tort in UK. They are escape artists so if you think the area is secure triple check. They are easy to look after daily fresh watar and fresh greens. Heat, light, substrate, calcium and a decent size enclosure are imperative.

Speedy has an inside enc for winter and summer nights and outside enclosure for summer days. He is currently brumating which is something you will skip this year.
If you give it a home share pics and ask questions, we are happy to help and advise there are breeders and owners on this site.

Please have a read of the link in #10

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome to the forum from South Florida
Give this a read: