Hi guys I have a lot of question about tortoise disease

Brucekim

I have two leopard tortoise, raise them in quite big box. I have uvb lamp, spot lamp, and I use soil for groud. One day one leopard had runny nose, and it moves to the another tortoise.. so I felt they have some problem.. and I went to hospital and they said one guy have a parasite in poop and got damaged lung the other tortoise only damaged lung.. after that vet inject to tortise.. I am not sure what vet injected... But problem is this... after that they don't eat at all... how can I figure out...? I can't trust vet anymore...also I cant trust the store that I bought from them... HELP..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Try to find out what the injection was.
Then we need to know the temps and humidity at tort level. Age of torts, and everything else you can think of about their enclosure and daily care.
For now, I would get them set up apart and make their enclosure temp 85 day and night with a basking spot of 100. They should have a humidity of 80%. Hatchlings upto 2 years at least are best kept in a closed chamber. Also, tortoises don't do good in pairs often, so be prepared to keep them apart from now on or in the near further.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bruce, and welcome to the Forum!

If your vet injected the tortoises with Baytril, then it's bad news. Most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. However, if the tortoises seem lively and are moving around, but they just don't eat, this is perfectly normal after receiving an antibiotic injection. Just soak the tortoises in warm water for about 15 minutes each day to help flush out their systems, turn up the heat so you can keep them warm between 80 and 85F degrees all the time to help kill off the germs. Hopefully your tortoises will be ok in another day or two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are they being housed in the same enclosure? If so it's bad to keep them in pairs.

Brucekim

Hello and Welcome. Try to find out what the injection was.
Then we need to know the temps and humidity at tort level. Age of torts, and everything else you can think of about their enclosure and daily care.
For now, I would get them set up apart and make their enclosure temp 85 day and night with a basking spot of 100. They should have a humidity of 80%. Hatchlings upto 2 years at least are best kept in a closed chamber. Also, tortoises don't do good in pairs often, so be prepared to keep them apart from now on or in the near further.
My temperature is 89F humidity is 94%.. and they always sleeping after hosptial..

Brucekim

If your vet injected the tortoises with Baytril, then it's bad news. Most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. However, if the tortoises seem lively and are moving around, but they just don't eat, this is perfectly normal after receiving an antibiotic injection. Just soak the tortoises in warm water for about 15 minutes each day to help flush out their systems, turn up the heat so you can keep them warm between 80 and 85F degrees all the time to help kill off the germs. Hopefully your tortoises will be ok in another day or two.
They dont't move at all... they just sleep everyday.. and I put them to warm water for 15minute everyday.. and they can't open their eyes..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not using a coil bulb correct? Call the vet tomorrow and find out what was injected. The 89 I would lower a bit to 85 all over, day and night but make sure there is a basking spot of 100 under another heat source.
Try putting baby food carrot purée and baby piedialyte in there soak water.

Brucekim

If your vet injected the tortoises with Baytril, then it's bad news. Most leopard tortoithses are allergic to Baytril. However, if the tortoises seem lively and are moving around, but they just don't eat, this is perfectly normal after receiving an antibiotic injection. Just soak the tortoises in warm water for about 15 minutes each day to help flush out their systems, turn up the heat so you can keep them warm between 80 and 85F degrees all the time to help kill off the germs. Hopefully your tortoises will be ok in another day or two.
Vet said he omly inject anibiotic injection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they aren't moving at all, this is bad news. Call the vet and ask him what was the name of the antibiotic. If it's Baytril, this medication has made your tortoises sick and you need to tell the vet that Baytril shouldn't be used on leopard tortoises. He might know an antidote???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My temperature is 89F humidity is 94%.. and they always sleeping after hosptial..
89 where? There are four temperatures to know and control. Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low. Where is it 89?